Gear repair

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’ve got a buddy with a broken gear from a boat drive train. This is 1.25” in diameter. Replacements are quite pricey. Anybody able to fix this with bronze or make a new one?

Attachments

• 971EC4A7-EA86-4CD0-8E7E-BD18E80604CD.jpeg
    971EC4A7-EA86-4CD0-8E7E-BD18E80604CD.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

kylemp

That's an awfully complicated gear. I had alpek make one for my lathe, he could try there and see what they say.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I suspect the gear in mesh with that one is pooched too. Spiral/bevel or mabe even hypoid so it would be very hard to duplicate with enough accuracy without using dedicated gear making tooling. Your friend probably already knows that a boat is just a hole in the water you pour money into so he will probably have to bite the bullet and buy the pair.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
If it's available as a manufactured part it will be cheaper than having on repaired or custom made.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hi John,

I would think that gear has hardened teeth given it is part of the main drive. I would always be wary that a repair failure might destroy more of the drive.

Make sure your friend also checks the meshing gear for damage and the shaft for any twist/bend.

Anytine you put “marine” or “boat” in front of anything the price seems to magically double .....