• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Garage machine shop for sale, $40k, Calgary, AB

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
The seller is probably realistic on the value, based on the description. Problem is, my guess is most of his potential market would rather buy old used manual machinery and have the fun of doing their own modifications and CNC conversions. I’d estimate 30% of the posts on this board are discussions of how to fix a 1975 lathe, or how to overcome shortcomings on small, old, cheap machinery. Most of the fun of hobby machining is the mental stimulation of figuring out how to achieve an acceptable result using crappy tools.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I don't speak for everybody, but I think most would rather buy a turn key machine shop in pristine working order, but are limited by budget to buy the cheaper machine that needs work, and are leveraging their skills and talents to recondition and bring it back to life, or do CNC convertions. I know that's what factors into almost all of my purchases. Boy would I love to just cut a cheque and have a full working shop dropped off at my door, so that I can make whatever I wish, whenever I want. A quick glance at my bank account tells me to keep dreaming lol. In a weird sort of way, I've grown rather fond of my path, and even when I have the money to buy new, am drawn to old junk that needs fixing for much cheaper. It's probably all the hits to the head I've taken over the years, Wear a helmet folks. :D

Anybody send him a message yet to see if they qualify?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I don't speak for everybody, but I think most would rather buy a turn key machine shop in pristine working order, but are limited by budget to buy the cheaper machine that needs work, and are leveraging their skills and talents to recondition and bring it back to life, or do CNC convertions. I know that's what factors into almost all of my purchases. Boy would I love to just cut a cheque and have a full working shop dropped off at my door, so that I can make whatever I wish, whenever I want. A quick glance at my bank account tells me to keep dreaming lol. In a weird sort of way, I've grown rather fond of my path, and even when I have the money to buy new, am drawn to old junk that needs fixing for much cheaper. It's probably all the hits to the head I've taken over the years, Wear a helmet folks. :D

I am going to - just to see what is going on.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

No Machine Shop for you!!

5714f3f314a3c8ce1795a858033729baa1-06-soup-nazi.rsquare.w330.jpg

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I don't get it. Is this equipment for sale? Or is the venue and equipment packaged together?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
i wish our education system would spend some time on basic commercial skills. Your craigslist ad will work better if you spell the product name correctly. Insulting potential buyers with “lowball offers will be ignored” reduces your chances of sale. Blurry photos lower what buyers offer, since it implies you didn’t take care of the item for sale. Spend ten minutes looking up the resale value of your items before you post. etc, etc, etc.

Jswain

Joe
Not to defend this guy as I believe the ad is quite funny as well, but ignoring lowballers simply saves your time.

If I'm selling something for $500 and you offer $250 or less you simply get a no thank you, no further contact from me will be made, and 0 attempts at negotiating. Why? Because from there it has never turned into a deal being made, so why would I waste my time?

Nothing worse then a guy who expects you to answer 100 questions, 1 question at a time, to lowball you in the end so far away from your price that there is 0 chance of a deal.

Last edited: