• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Gantry crane for 4 post car lift

Tips/Techniques

Tmate

My BendPak 4 post car lift has a rail that runs down the inside of each runway. This is intended to accommodate their rolling hydraulic transmission jack.

I decided to make a small gantry that rolls down the length of the lift, with an I-beam trolley that rolls sideways. Sideways trolley travel distance is a modest 30", but enough to load or unload a cart. I can back my pickup truck under the end, lower the hoist a bit, and pickup whatever I want to unload. Since the BendPak itself provides all the lifting, there is no need for a chain hoist, etc. Only a few lifting straps and hooks are necessary.

The gantry wheels have a stated load capacity of 660 lbs. each, but I probably won't be lifting more than a few hundred lbs. with it. When rolling it with a load, I'll keep the trolley over toward the side with two casters. Four casters would have added to the capacity, which I don't need.

The lift will sit flat on the ground with the trolley in place. Any car with 4" or more undercarriage clearance can pass over it. The gantry lifts off in seconds if a really low slung car has to go up top.

gantry1.jpg gantry2.jpg trolley.jpg

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Excellent idea!
Unless the Bendpak is different, most of the bridge jacks on these lifts can lift the entire front or back of the vehicle for wheel service, usually 2 or 3 thousand pounds, not just a transmission.

I would label the max lift on it (something below 660lbs to compensate for the beam, dolly and hoist), just in case you forget in the future what the rollers where rated for.

Tmate

Based on suggestions I received, I made some modifications to my car lift based gantry crane. The top beam now extends all the way over the top of the two side beams. The ends of the side beams are boxed with 3/8" plate, and the casters now have a capacity of 770 lbs. each. Bottom of the cross beam is now 85" above the floor.

I will probably pick up a chain hoist, although it really isn't needed since the car lift itself can do the lifiting. I will probably add some steel stubs that extend from the side beams down into the space behind the rails in case of a caster failure.

Attachments

• modified gantry1.jpg
    modified gantry1.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 14
  • modified gantry.jpg
    modified gantry.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 14
  • modified gantry 2.jpg
    modified gantry 2.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 16

trevj

Ultra Member
I was gonna say that the original design looked weak in the flat area between the beam and the trucks, and could have used some diagonal bracing.

I like this solution a LOT more, as it directs most of the load vertically, rather than relying upon the ability of flat stock to resist bending!

Overbuilding stuff like this is seldom time or money wasted! One never knows when the extra capacity will be needed! Nice!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice job, that looks super handy. I don't think you can ever have too many way to lift something, and shift things around.