• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Game changer!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a magnetic bed and upgraded springs for my Ender 3v2 to solve a couple of problems; 1) prints were very difficult to remove and 2) the bed was not trammed from one print to the next on account of having to pull the glass bed to remove the print.
Used it today for two prints and I'm very impressed.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a magnetic bed and upgraded springs for my Ender 3v2 to solve a couple of problems

You guys with 3D printers prolly all know what you are talking about David. But I don't. What does a magnetic bed do for you that stops model sticking to a glass bed? Are you making metallic parts?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
You guys with 3D printers prolly all know what you are talking about David. But I don't. What does a magnetic bed do for you that stops model sticking to a glass bed? Are you making metallic parts?
My guess is the print plate registers magnetically and pops off with ease for consistency in the bed popsitiom from print to print

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I love the magnetic bed on my Kingroon (came with it). Effortless to pop the prints off, and I think it helps a great deal in keeping the bed level too, because you're not always poking and prying at it. I rarely ever need to re level. I clean mine with foaming glass cleaner between prints, and have never really had any adhesion problems with PLA (all I've printed on it). I'd like to try the PEI sheets too, but havn't been bothered enough to order one.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm still missing something. I get the registration aspect, but what makes it easier to pop a print off of a magnetic plate vs glass. The hardness, flatness, and chemically inert characteristics of glass are hard to beat.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm still missing something. I get the registration aspect, but what makes it easier to pop a print off of a magnetic plate vs glass. The hardness, flatness, and chemically inert characteristics of glass are hard to beat.

It's flexible, so you can just flex the sheet and the print pops off

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Magnetic flexible plate can be removed. Glass is not flexible. You literally need to pry the part off... pain in the @#%^**

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A magnetic bed is a sheet of spring steel with a coating on it to promote adhesion. The magnetic part is that a sheet of magnetic material (the stuff on fridge magnets) is put on the aluminum bed of the printer with adhesive. Then the spring steel plate is laid on top.
Because the spring steel is flexible you just bend it to loosen the print as compared to prying it off with a putty knife. When you hava a print with a large surface are sometimes it's near impossible to get them off a glass bed.