• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Gage pins

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lucky enough to up my gage game with these boxes thanks to @fixerup for tip, used by a company that had an antenna division but does not any more so these became surplus to their needs. A bit of an investment at $100 per box but in the long run I am sure I will find many uses for these I have from 1.3 to 13.98mm in .02 increments.
IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
About a week after I got these I kept checking the seller for new ads, and sure enough a nice starrett gage block set came up and so I messaged the lady and said I would come on Friday to get it, great my first starrett purchase, she messages me the next day that a co worker had claimed it and that it was unavailable. :(. She said she had more boxes to go through and would let me know if there was more, I thanked her for letting me know and said I would be interested if another set came up or an other measuring type devices. Last Thursday she messages she has another set not as big as the other one and a lower grade, she also said she had some micrometers:), I said I would take the gage blocks and have a look at the micrometers. Friday came I drove out and went to their office, she had a smorgasbord of micrometers for me to salivate over. Kid candy store, and this was the haul.
These are the 0-1 and 1-2 mitutoyo's The 0-1 I love the feel of it with the no click thimble and the simplicity this will probably be the one I use most.
1710720232244.jpeg
The gummy plastic stuff protecting the standards is toast and all the batteries were dead but they are in mint condition maybe never used.
1710720355258.jpeg

Also my first inside micrometer and my first product from Asimeto this is a .2 to 1.2" still need to do some learning on this one but happy to have it.
1710720576377.jpeg

I already have a set of these calipers and I love them and know one day some moron will do unspeakable things to it so this will lessen that blow with a spare set.
1710720905500.jpeg
Oh ya and the gage blocks too, this set will be great and now they all will be metric.
1710721015881.jpeg

And as a bonus a noga ng9300 silver set, she didn't know what it was so I told her she said make any offer I said 20 it was mine.
The blocks and the micrometers were 100 each and the calipers and inside mic was 80 each so just shy of 600 for everything I think is fair considering the condition of everything. This really ups my measuring game and I am excited to put everything to use as I have already used my gage pins to make my center height reference for my lathe. I helped her with identifying a few things when I was there and offered to do more if she needs help because I am very happy with these items and the enjoyment they are going to bring.
1710721537807.jpeg

But alas still no starrett products in my toolbox.

Attachments

• 1710721498620.jpeg
    1710721498620.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 1

mickeyf

It looks like there are more zeros after the decimal point in those micrometers than I would ever be able to use...

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Funny, eager to play with my new gage pins I brought them downstairs and initial tests were way on the small size, quickly realizing the 5 hours in the trunk at 0 being the culprit for the shrinkage. :)
After reading an @Dabbler suggestion somewhere I have started a practice of grabbing random pins and measuring them to learn the feel of my new micrometers and improve my consistency. I find it to be relaxing good for building focus and fun.

trevj

Ultra Member
Get some oil, and a box of lint free wipes for applying the stuff to your pins, and get in the habit of wiping down any pin that has been touched by anybody!
Some solvent (brake cleaner, or other non-residue solvent) and same lint free wipes, to clean the mating surfaces before wringing them together.

Rust on Gage Blocks and Pins, sucks! And, a $20 can of decent instrument oil, or whatever turns yer crank, is a CHEAP price compared to pulling new spares out of the catalog!

While I was taking some more or less advanced machining training in the CF, the standing offer in Classes where we used Gage blocks, was that if they found our fingerprint rusted in to the block at any time later, they were going after recovery, from our pay for the replacement costs.