• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

fusion 360 requirements

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I've been doing a lot of research on what the cheapest laptop for fusion 360 as well as sheet cam would be. My current laptop I use is a think pad which has all the requirements, but it is very old; so it can run my plasma table just fine, but it is too slow for me to run fusion or sheet cam to edit my tool paths that come from my desktop through one drive. From what I've read it seems like the acer aspire5, or maybe even the aspire 3 would be the best choice. I'm just not sure if it would be worth buying a new laptop just so I don't have to return to my room in our basement from my shop to make all changes to my tool paths.

I've also tried wireless remote networking, but even that is a bit slow on my old laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions to what would be the cheapest option, even if that means just refurbishing my think pad?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I Posted in the other post. DBCS computers in airdrie has good used selection and has useful knowledge, I find his ads through kijiji, his company logo is on his listings

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There should be no issues getting a great laptop for around $200. Look for bankruptcy auctions - they have good selection of gear.

Also there are like a million laptops used on sale on eBay. Many with free shipping or shipping sub $20 in Canada. There are probably at least 1000 big electronic dealers in Canada selling on eBay.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I ended up getting a good lenovo think pad with an i7 processor for 350 at an online auction. The integrated graphics from the i7 processor are definitely strong enough to run fusion 360 and sheet cam well enough, and operate my plasma table. I think that was the best choice, because most refurbished laptops with that level of hardware are sold around $550 online.