• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Free treadmill in West Kelowna area

Perry

Ultra Member
Thought I would post this here.

Looking for a treadmill motor? Most likely a 2.75HP (Could be a 3.0)

Why am I posting this?

One it's free.
Second I have the exact treadmill and I need the upper control board from this unit.

Three. If you need a motor for a project, I can let you know how to control this motor and motor controller. I presently control my treadmill with a ESP8266, but all you need is a PWM signal at 250HZ.

If anyone jumps at this I would be willing to pay for shipping and something to offset your costs so I can get the upper circuit board.

Cheers,

Perry

Ultra Member
The lady that owns the treadmill in Kelowna just replied to me. She said I could have the upper control board, but does not have the skill to remove it.

It is a 10 minute max job. A couple phillips screws on the upper back. Then a few quick disconnect connectors. Two more phillips screw to remove a fan for access. Then four philips screw and the circuit board is out. Do we have any members in Kelowna that could give me a hand getting this board?

I could send very clear easy to follow pictures if required.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
If it was close to me, I'd go get it (and give you the board). A lot of goodies in a free treadmill.

I'm curious about your motor control with a ESP8266. If you feel like it, could you elaborate on that please?

Perry

Ultra Member
This unit uses a 12 pin connector/wire from the lower motor controller to the upper control board.

The motor controller on this unit requires a PWM signal in on pin 9 (which should be a grey wire). Before you apply the PWM you need to enable the motor controller by pulling pin 10 (a white wire) to ground first. That is all that is required . The PWM is set at a frequency of 250Hz. Varying the PWM controls the speed.

A simple sketch in Ardino can output a PWM signal to the motor controller on a ESP8266. I have a couple examples if you need them . One to control the speed with a variable resistor or two switches to go up and down in speed.

Just a caution. There is no speed limit and no ramping of acceleration safety built into the motor controller. That is all done in the upper control board. With the ESP8266 you need to account for that. The motor control board can turn the motor on at full speed in 0 seconds if you want. (Don't ask how I know)

Most tread mills are also limited at around 12 mph. That is taken care of in the upper control panel on this model. Easy to bypass that with the ESP8266 hooked up to that motor controller.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
This unit uses a 12 pin connector/wire from the lower motor controller to the upper control board.

The motor controller on this unit requires a PWM signal in on pin 9 (which should be a grey wire). Before you apply the PWM you need to enable the motor controller by pulling pin 10 (a white wire) to ground first. That is all that is required . The PWM is set at a frequency of 250Hz. Varying the PWM controls the speed.

A simple sketch in Ardino can output a PWM signal to the motor controller on a ESP8266. I have a couple examples if you need them . One to control the speed with a variable resistor or two switches to go up and down in speed.

Just a caution. There is no speed limit and no ramping of acceleration safety built into the motor controller. That is all done in the upper control board. With the ESP8266 you need to account for that. The motor control board can turn the motor on at full speed in 0 seconds if you want. (Don't ask how I know)

Most tread mills are also limited at around 12 mph. That is taken care of in the upper control panel on this model. Easy to bypass that with the ESP8266 hooked up to that motor controller.
Thanks. I'll look into trying that out on the next treadmill motor. I've just used a bridge rectifier and SCR thus far. Works, but a bit lacking in finesse.