Free to a good home.... Mini-Lathe QCTP

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Craig,

I am looking at a Taig II lathe tomorrow. Assuming the deal goes through and the QCTP is still available I would be interested.

I'll let you know tomorrow. (If it is spoken for you can let me know)

Tom

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I bought the lathe. Can you please give a rough measure of the tool height? No sense shipping it out here if it is too high.

Thanks!

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
From the base of the holder to about the top of a cutting tooling with the holder at the mid-point.

Hope that makes sense.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
From the base of the holder to about the top of a cutting tooling with the holder at the mid-point.

Hope that makes sense.
I had this same conversation with another member who bought a tool post that ended up too high. I offered to shave the post down for him to make it fit. You could do the same. If there is a will there is a way.....

Edit - I also plan to cut one or more of my own tool holders down so I can get the base of the holder to touch the cross slide to improve parting rigidity.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had this same conversation with another member who bought a tool post that ended up too high. I offered to shave the post down for him to make it fit. You could do the same. If there is a will there is a way.....

Edit - I also plan to cut one or more of my own tool holders down so I can get the base of the holder to touch the cross slide to improve parting rigidity.
True. I just want to make sure if this would be the case, that there is enough material to remove. This QCTP came off a 7" swing, and going onto a 4.5" swing. Milling it down would not be an issue otherwise.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just got home and measured the lathe. Need about 31 mm. So I can space it if it won't go that high.

Any idea on shipping? Don't want a nasty surprise from Canada Post.

And would an etransfer work for you?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Just got home and measured the lathe. Need about 31 mm. So I can space it if it won't go that high.

Any idea on shipping? Don't want a nasty surprise from Canada Post.

And would an etransfer work for you?

PM me your postal code and I'll give you a CP quote.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
True. I just want to make sure if this would be the case, that there is enough material to remove. This QCTP came off a 7" swing, and going onto a 4.5" swing. Milling it down would not be an issue otherwise.

For my own learning, I'd appreciate seeing what you all have to do to make it fit. Yours won't be the last QCTP to find a home on a smaller lathe.

Consider posting the project so we can all follow along.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For my own learning, I'd appreciate seeing what you all have to do to make it fit. Yours won't be the last QCTP to find a home on a smaller lathe.

Consider posting the project so we can all follow along.
Depending on what it needs, I sure can post something. As long as you're OK with my newbie techniques.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Depending on what it needs, I sure can post something. As long as you're OK with my newbie techniques.

No sweat. All good on my end. If you are not making mistakes you are learning squatt. Besides, we have all been there. I'd love to follow along.