• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Free drafting table, PTBO

JReimer

not as worth it as all the awesome priced machines from east - but still Add it to the shipping container headed out West.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Cavan-Monaghan, ON

338314158_6069006463181936_509491510925391800_n.jpg

I had one of those along with an Ontario Hydro Track Machine for my Univ Days, a lot of drawing back then manually still as Acad was just starting.

Got rid of it about 13 years ago as most things are easier on CAD. Key word is most (but not all).

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I don't know.... Maybe if you are designing a house or some other building? But for parts?
Do this up in parametric CAD.
1680713566771.png

Then create a 2D drawing and drop the various 'views' onto it. It can even add the dimensions but I prefer to do that myself.

1680713644814.png
Can't see going back to may portable drafting board setup (sitting in the closet now for many years).

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Another one of those "if only it were closer" scenario's.
I miss my drafting table maybe once every 5 years.

and then it's only because I wanted to paint something and prefer the angled plane versus horizontal table.

I don't know a single architect that uses a drafting table still. Some own one, and it acts as a prop to impress new clientele

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I don't know.... Maybe if you are designing a house or some other building? But for parts?
Do this up in parametric CAD.
View attachment 33270

Then create a 2D drawing and drop the various 'views' onto it. It can even add the dimensions but I prefer to do that myself.

View attachment 33271
Can't see going back to may portable drafting board setup (sitting in the closet now for many years).

not even for a house.

By 2005 I'd even stopped using CAD to add mechanical layers to house plans and just started dropping an overlay onto PDF copies of plans using a very simple PDF mark-up package. Time is money.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That is so cool! If I were closer I'd definitely grab it. It would useful for my 1:1 bicycle drawings

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
For me it's kinda therapeutic to sit down at the table and draw things up. I've still got my Tsquare, triangles, compass set, erasing shield etc, from the early 70's and all work well.
I may not work so well but that stuff still does. LOL

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
For me it's kinda therapeutic to sit down at the table and draw things up. I've still got my Tsquare, triangles, compass set, erasing shield etc, from the early 70's and all work well.
I may not work so well but that stuff still does. LOL
I have two nice german drafting sets I tried to sell for peanuts just to send them somewhere they will be used. I gave up.

But I hear you. I love to make wood block prints and engravings. During the actual work on the blocks one part of the mind focuses on the work, while the rest of the mind slowly relaxes and becomes like a calm sea at sunset.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Cheap or free drafting tables show up in Calgary fairly regularly. I did pick up a machine for free a few years ago.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
If I had enough space in my store, I would definitely buy a drawing board with all the tools that a designer should have ------ even though PC drawing is now available, this is still useful. I like this large drawing, which can put more designs on one plane at a glance. -- Even though I'm not a designer ---- I love having this drawing board!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I think one would make an excellent board as a hanging display of my buggy whip collection :)

Yeah, ok, if I had endless amounts of space I take one for free.....but since I don't.....