• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Four brass footers for audio rack?

KenCalgary

Hello, I am putting together a home audio rack using 7/8" threaded rod - Grade A, Low to Medium Carbon Steel, Bright Zinc Chromate Plated, thread count 9 - and was thinking about using four brass "footers" for the bottom. I'm NOT in a rush and was thinking that something along the lines of 2" high by 2" round brass with female threads would do the trick. The bottom part that met the carpet could be pointed. Does anyone do this type of work?

KenCalgary

As an update I'm wondering if two inch diameter and height would be overkill. I think just high enough - perhaps 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" - to accommodate sufficent threads for the rod would be sufficient.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
if you can salvage some from something. brass cupboard door knobs. I found some nickel plated silver drawer knobs that turned out to have solid brass underneath. If you can source the material Ken and can sketch out your ideas somebody on here will help you turn it to what you want. Just repost. If you used aluminium or steel it might be easier to accomplish. Spray paint?

KenCalgary

if you can salvage some from something. brass cupboard door knobs. I found some nickel plated silver drawer knobs that turned out to have solid brass underneath. If you can source the material Ken and can sketch out your ideas somebody on here will help you turn it to what you want. Just repost. If you used aluminium or steel it might be easier to accomplish. Spray paint?
Thanks Janger, I think I'll use the acorns that are readily available rather than go ahead with this idea. It'll be a lot easier.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
" is brass expensive?". Well I guess it depends on what you call expensive... I bought some 2" brass round and it was $89 a foot, AND I had to buy a large amount to get it at that price! Small quantity at today's price I would bet is double that! But it is beautiful stuff!

KenCalgary

" is brass expensive?". Well I guess it depends on what you call expensive... I bought some 2" brass round and it was $89 a foot, AND I had to buy a large amount to get it at that price! Small quantity at today's price I would bet is double that! But it is beautiful stuff!
Thanks, now for sure I won't go forward with this idea.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup. And you probably got a good deal. OLM sells solid C360 for 106USD/foot FOB the States so add shipping & duty. My rule of thumb is anywhere from 50-200% higher at local MetalSupermarket for off-cuts.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1279&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1117&top_cat=79

Brass tubing in that diameter is lower price. Maybe another option is turn an inner core as the load bearing member from inexpensive material, bond the brass tube with epoxy & polish it up as normal if you are after the real metal look. Basically a metal veneer. The core might even be wood for that matter. Not sure on the threaded hole - maybe a T-nut if they make them that big or a regular nut bonded into a drilled recess since I assume its all compression load, no real torque load required
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1568&step=4&showunits=inches&id=84&top_cat=79

Last edited:

KenCalgary

Hi gang, I have another idea that might be less expensive. How about a 7/8" threaded brass (if that's easy to machine?) rod cut to 2" long with one end brought down to a point? I would need four pieces.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Call Bolt supply for their price on brass threaded rod. (the North location has it in stock) You have to buy the whole length (3 feet). I fear you will be shocked.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ken I’m sure if you source the material somebody can help you get it turned to size. Post a sketch. You could try metal supermarket, ebay. I could help turn it too.

$16/lb ! It’s gold or silver!
43580EBB-6A3D-4494-8DC2-78E1F327FEC7.png

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you are OK with 7/8" nominal diameter (as opposed to the original 2") & sounds like having that thread size is integral to the design, then how about 7/8" regular steel ready rod cut to length & sleeved with brass tubing similar to what I posted earlier? If the steel is the load bearing part, the brass is just a cosmetic shell that's along for the ride. It really doesn't mater how its joined (epoxy / JB Weld would be good) as long as its centered & looks right.

Or a 7/8" bolt with threads pointing up & turn the head down to a round/slimmer more decorative profile. You could brass sleeve that the same way. Or they sell nice decorative finishes that give the appearance of various kinds of metal. Gold/brass spray paint sounds cheesy but I've seen some decent results, they have some interesting products these days that are also quite tough.

KenCalgary

If you are OK with 7/8" nominal diameter (as opposed to the original 2") & sounds like having that thread size is integral to the design, then how about 7/8" regular steel ready rod cut to length & sleeved with brass tubing similar to what I posted earlier? If the steel is the load bearing part, the brass is just a cosmetic shell that's along for the ride. It really doesn't mater how its joined (epoxy / JB Weld would be good) as long as its centered & looks right.

Or a 7/8" bolt with threads pointing up & turn the head down to a round/slimmer more decorative profile. You could brass sleeve that the same way. Or they sell nice decorative finishes that give the appearance of various kinds of metal. Gold/brass spray paint sounds cheesy but I've seen some decent results, they have some interesting products these days that are also quite tough.
Some good ideas but I think, that it will prove to be much easier and less costly just to go with acorn nuts to finish off the threaded rod. They will do the job, are already easily found and will look OK for this project. Thank you everyone for the ideas and for pointing out how costly brass footers would be.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sounds good. ps I was inquiring about 5/8" acorn nuts a few weeks back with Bolt Supply House Calgary & coughed at the price. I thought they were just chrome plated but maybe they were stainless. Anyway check around. They also make acorn nuts in brass but probably Ebay or special order.

The other idea I had was lug nuts which can be quite cool & decorative, many different finishes. But rather specific to wheel stud size, maybe fine pitch, don't really know. Just mentioning in case your thread size was still up for grabs. 7/8 would support crazy weights, like thousands of pounds.
<ebay pics>

Attachments

• SNAG-10-27-2018 0000.jpg
    SNAG-10-27-2018 0000.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-10-27-2018 0001.jpg
    SNAG-10-27-2018 0001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0

KenCalgary

Sounds good. ps I was inquiring about 5/8" acorn nuts a few weeks back with Bolt Supply House Calgary & coughed at the price. I thought they were just chrome plated but maybe they were stainless. Anyway check around. They also make acorn nuts in brass but probably Ebay or special order.

The other idea I had was lug nuts which can be quite cool & decorative, many different finishes. But rather specific to wheel stud size, maybe fine pitch, don't really know. Just mentioning in case your thread size was still up for grabs. 7/8 would support crazy weights, like thousands of pounds.
<ebay pics>

Thanks for the heads up, Peter, I'll keep taht in mind.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If you can live with some other material like stainless steel I have some 2".

Also if creative you can get some brass pipe and fill it in with a steel inner core. Or copper pipe.

KenCalgary

If you can live with some other material like stainless steel I have some 2".

Also if creative you can get some brass pipe and fill it in with a steel inner core. Or copper pipe.
Thanks Tom, I've given up on machined footers; they're too expensive and I can use readily available acorn nuts.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For those projects that JUST HAVE to have a nice hunk of big ol' brass....
I do have some 2" solid brass round I'm willing to sell. I bought a VERY large
a chunk of it a while back so I got it at good price by today's standards. I believe it was $89/ft. I will mail on your dime and will cut just an inch or two if you really want but I think I have to include the saw curf in the sold part if I'm doing a bunch of small pieces (is that too damn cheap of me?).

Don