• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

foundry suppliers

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
After successfully completing my foundry and refining a few aluminium ingots I'm looking into casting some other projects, starting with aluminium working towards silver or brass. Sand casting seems to be the cheapest method, and there are countless formulas of green sand; but I cant seem to find any place in Calgary that sells calcium bentonite or sodium bentonite, preferably calcium. Play sand water and bentonite are the only materials I need to make green sand, the first two are easily accessible, but what about the bentonite?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Don't do play sand, even mixed with bentonite It's not worth the time. If you can go with a finer sand to start with do so. I regret wasting so much time on mixing my own for the quality of cast it yields, many other sands are available at most places that carry playsand anyway. As for bentonite ... I paid way to much but found it at one of my local health food stores ("light cellar" in bowness) they had 2 types, one for eating:confused: and one for the mrs' mud face mask or some pfft. I'm sure a beauty supply warehouse would carry a larger bulk size but that's not my department :D

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Along with the amount of sand you would use together with 1lb bentonite powder sold for health how much would that cover? Is there any place in calgary that sells products from canadian clay products inc, or bentonite in larger quantités?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what this bag constitutes weight wise, but sounds like he has a lot to get rid of
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-in...ck/1296418484?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I've heard of it used in my industry for drilling muds & also dirt work to make more impermeable pond type bottoms. Maybe like a place that supplies gravel? I may have seen it at the Ceramics supply place I got my fire bricks from. Now if there is a grade or grain mesh size associated to these sources I cant say
https://ca.brockwhite.com/product/2-0701552

http://www.canadianclay.com/bentonite.htm

Johnwa

Ultra Member
You need 5 to 10% bentonite by weight. Mine s 6%. And works OK. Well drillers, both oil and water, use bentonite. It's also used to seal koi ponds. Oak environmental lists it on their site.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I bit the bullet and bought 200 lbs of petro-bond from budgetcasting supply about 15 years ago and still use it today

Shipping to Calgary wasn't that bad back then......

Recently I found a place out of Colorado that will ship single bags of various product. I picked up 3 bags of 3000 degree refractory and shipping to babb mt (Kinek border pickup service) was 90 bucks usd. It was a quick trip to go get it. Funny how barren the local scene in calgary is.

Calgary ceramics may also be able to get it, and perhaps ufa as they line dugouts with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Brock white is the only local retailer of Canadian Clay products, except their branch in Calgary doesn't sell any bentonite besides the liner. Shipping sand or clay is far too expensive so I figure my best option would be to pick it up from oak environmental.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought a 50 lb bag from Calgary ceramics it was in stock it worked great with the fine sand (golden) from Burnco its cheap too.