• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Forum problems--November 12, 2021?

trlvn

Ultra Member
The site was failing to open threads and/or allow me to post new messages this afternoon. Specifically, I tried to post a message at 4:46 pm Eastern that failed. Was there maintenance going on?

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
Off and on, the site is very slow for me. I just posted a 3 line message and it took 30 seconds or more between clicking "Post" and the screen updating. Is the server just busy or is there some other problem?

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have had several similar problems over the course of the last few months. Worse just lately. I did a Domain drill and it showed the server where our forum is hosted as the bottle neck. That can't be easily fixed. At most a complaint from @Janger et al. But we would probably have to move our business to really fix it. That would be a HUGE PIA to Josh. My vote is to just learn to live with it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But on the bright side it's still a whole lot better than a 14.4 modem

I gather you never used a 300 baud unit. I remember when 9600 and then 14.4 were like a strike of blue lightning!

Tom O

Ultra Member
You have to wonder if it’s all the info they collect and store that’s using up their operating resources.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You have to wonder if it’s all the info they collect and store that’s using up their operating resources.
I think the main problem is cloud storage, streaming, and watching online tv & movies.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think my first foray was a 9.6k,,,,,, now I feel old(er)lol
My first foray was a totally manual (no modem) dial-up connection to ARPANET at the university of Stanford in the late 70s. ARPANET was the internets predecessor with only university and military people participating. Shortly thereafter public access was granted through the multi university backbone that then became the earliest version of the internet as we know it and I got a Compuserve membership to join in for non-research purposes - mostly early software sharing. That connection was long distance dial up to Chicago using a 300 baud modem. My member number was 2 digits long. That long distance bill was the first of many times my wife threatened to divorce me.

trlvn

Ultra Member
BTW, I haven't had any emails today alerting about updates to threads that I either started or am watching? Are others getting them?

Craig