• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Forge questions

Murdoch

Hey guys I thought that I would give making a dirge a try. Using a toolbox as the case, now comes time for the placement of the burners. I see that most are set at a 45°angle is this for any specific reason or just a comfort thingie?

Crosche

Super User
A word of caution; unless your forge interior is round, don't mount your burners on an angle because you probably won't achieve the desired vortex.

Crosche

Super User
Had you seen Michael Porter's book on gas forges? It is a great reference for building your own forge.
From what I understand it comes down to quality vs. quantity. Either you build a forge that is well insulated and efficient or you introduce more burners to compensate and use more fuel. Much like the forges in "Forged in Fire", they seem to belch fire like dragons with indigestion and yet they can still achieve forge welding temperatures.

Dogpounder

Thanks for the tips I'm just designing my new forge and it will be a rectangle with double burner. Where can you find Micheal Porters book on forge design?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Fire burns in what direction? Forcing fire to burn against its nature will bring more issues than its worth. a horizontal position was used in my first forge, an antique cast iron unit with 3 naturally aspirated burners, i have no photos as they were destroyed along with my old phone but was about 8”high by 12”wide by 10”long outside dimensions with the burn chamber about 10”wide by 5”deep and 4”high, it had a removeable chimney top, a door on each side and a table over the burners giving access to an open side i figure may have once had a window, and the whole top half was hinged at the back and opened like a bbq

Murdoch

Had you seen Michael Porter's book on gas forges? It is a great reference for building your own forge.
From what I understand it comes down to quality vs. quantity. Either you build a forge that is well insulated and efficient or you introduce more burners to compensate and use more fuel. Much like the forges in "Forged in Fire", they seem to belch fire like dragons with indigestion and yet they can still achieve forge welding temperatures.
I just found Michael Porter's book on Amazon for $147.00 + shipping

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I know there are scanned copies on the net. I was on a yahoo group with Michael. He didn’t seem at all concerned about pirated copies.
The book has some detailed burner designs that apparently are so hot you have to worry about the uv from them. IIRC they operate a bit different from your standard burner as it burns inside the tube rather than off the end.