• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Floating vise build

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My 7/16-10 Acme tap arrived today.
Nothing left to do but the doing!
adaa959ec465113b31a968d8b1ff0f1d.jpg
I bet that will take some grunt to turn

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I bet that will take some grunt to turn
Yup...my plan is to drill to size for 1/2-10 Acme but pre-tap with the 7/16-10 first to take out the bulk of the material. Then follow up with my 1/2-10 Acme tandem tap.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Something in the back of my mind seems to remember hearing that pre-tapping is not recommended even though the same pitch & thread form. But I can't think of why. Maybe because the smaller tap is not being guided within its normal matching smaller bore, so there is a possibility to drift off axis inside the larger 0.500 bore & cut into one side more than the other & thus influence the bigger tap coming in after? I could be off base, like I say, foggy recollection.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Internal acme threads are so hard to cut at home. I bought an inserted threading bar for a simple lathe cross slide nut. If the tap works then great. I usually see these acme taps used in rebuilding shops to chase threads.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Something in the back of my mind seems to remember hearing that pre-tapping is not recommended even though the same pitch & thread form. But I can't think of why. Maybe because the smaller tap is not being guided within its normal matching smaller bore, so there is a possibility to drift off axis inside the larger 0.500 bore & cut into one side more than the other & thus influence the bigger tap coming in after? I could be off base, like I say, foggy recollection.
Yes I thought this might be an issue.
I'll drill and run the 7/16-10 on my mill so that I maintain location of the hole.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Internal acme threads are so hard to cut at home. I bought an inserted threading bar for a simple lathe cross slide nut. If the tap works then great. I usually see these acme taps used in rebuilding shops to chase threads.
Indeed. It took an oversize hole to even start the tap on two tests that I did, Even then the force required is astounding.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It’s sitting on my bench waiting for me the finish putting the forks from my Honda NT650 back together.
2a240bebdcaffdbd93cfb4941dc8f02e.jpg

d326e9990ef63fcabe58206f5878b54e.jpg

5ae3c91e28b04b5c491db33a2505536f.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Why the 2 difference Springs?
They are the same, I had just pullled them out of the fork legs, one was just installed upside down. It's a former racebike so it had a bunch of suspension work done to it. Not all of it correctly.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
They are the same, I had just pullled them out of the fork legs, one was just installed upside down. It's a former racebike so it had a bunch of suspension work done to it. Not all of it correctly.

So that should have been a matched pair?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So that should have been a matched pair?
They are matched pair, one was just installed upside down. They have progressively wound coils, the other end of the one on the right looks exactly like the one on the left.