• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Flashcut CNC/ Sherline 2000 milling package in unused condition, $2300

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Mildred Dobbs Blvd N, Lethbridge, $2,300

5e5d4f10-2d28-42b4-ad17-0ed6d4c29452

trevj

Ultra Member
Was his name Dave? (there cant be many). I speak with him weekly.
I'm thinking we got the same guy! :) Makes frikken AMAZING stuff!
Makes stuff like astrolabes. A nice air bearing spindle. VERY high end stuff!
I think it was him making a scale Continental Aircraft engine too.

Same guy? Not seen him since my last trip to the Estevan Show, pre Covidiocy.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup, same guy. Some pics of his 1/4sc Continental from when we met last fall. I think its been in the works for some time, but he is making progress again. Possibly I posted pics of his turbine elsewhere. Not that it really matters, but I don't think he ever had Sherline. He has EMCO lathe & mill. The mill is CNC capable. The lathe just got an ELS.

Attachments

• IMG_4875_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4875_edited-1.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4887_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4887_edited-1.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4891_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4891_edited-1.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 10

trevj

Ultra Member
When we were meeting regularly at the Super 8 off the corner of the Yellowhead and 170 st in Edmonton, ~2000-2004, I am pretty sure it was him cutting turbine impellers on a Sherline.
Could be wrong. Been a while.

Met him through the Alberta Metal Enthusiasts Network, a very informal 'club' of just guys that were interested and didn't mind hanging out and swapping lies once a month.

Tell him Trev Jones, says hi!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You may well be right, I'll ask him. I think his engine was based on Kurt Schreckling design but with mods. I recall Inconel mentioned but can't recall which specific parts. He also had access to big boy machines through his employer at the time, but primarily is a home shop machinist kinda guy. Yes, AMEN is how we met (pandemic zoom meetings). Although we came to realize we actually met much earlier in Calgary at RC flying field. He came down with his Edwards radial. Eventually built a Kinner Sportster around it & flew that in many scale competitions. Talented guy. I'll say hi. Small world.

My only comment is how the add is listed using prices for the software as justification, there are better packages now that are way better that include the software and motion control such as Acorn CNC and some small steppers for way less money. The mill costs what it does no argument there.

The second question, why did it sit for 8yrs.

Third is is the software still compatible with modern computers and operating systems. Seems to be a big issue these days.

For those looking for a deal I would use this information as a negotiating tool.

Have fun.

trevj

Ultra Member
Why has it sat for 8 years? Seemed like a good idea at the time. I suspect. Or a planned profitable use, did not pan out...

I still have a Triumph Bike project I have had for over 30 years, and recently sold a lathe that I had packed around for well over ten, without ever getting it set up and running. That one was a zero operating hours, new, Emco Super 11, very well tooled out, that I was actually given, in exchange for carrying it away!

By the time you add the costs to put the accessories on the table aside from the costs of the actual machine, it still seems like a decent deal. They sell everything separate, so evry little extra piece, costs you. Old software (working) is a bonus.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You may well be right, I'll ask him. I think his engine was based on Kurt Schreckling design but with mods. I recall Inconel mentioned but can't recall which specific parts. He also had access to big boy machines through his employer at the time, but primarily is a home shop machinist kinda guy.
And the reply is
- engine based on WREN design, not Schreckling, before WREN shut the door on plans & parts & design information
- the turbine vane wheel was solid Inconel, made with series of sinker EDM tools he made (on off hours work machine)
- no Sherline equipment, maybe it was one of the other guys. I think his home CNC is confined to EMCO mill

trevj

Ultra Member
And the reply is
- engine based on WREN design, not Schreckling, before WREN shut the door on plans & parts & design information
- the turbine vane wheel was solid Inconel, made with series of sinker EDM tools he made (on off hours work machine)
- no Sherline equipment, maybe it was one of the other guys. I think his home CNC is confined to EMCO mill
Then it was another of the members. I do recall the run times for some of the parts were, to me, astonishingly long! 24+hours, for not very big parts. But, they were not very big cutters, and running very fine stepovers too!