Fixture plate for CNC Router

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks nice. About how long to mill a part like your picture?

I don't quite get the requirement of the vise & 123 blocks. Could you not fixture locate & clamp directly on the tooling plate? Do you have much experience with MiteeBite / cam lock systems? I have 2 cnc buddies, one loves them, the other hates them. Maybe they do different kinds of work, I didn't get a chance to ask about details.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Looks nice. About how long to mill a part like your picture?

I don't quite get the requirement of the vise & 123 blocks. Could you not fixture locate & clamp directly on the tooling plate? Do you have much experience with MiteeBite / cam lock systems? I have 2 cnc buddies, one loves them, the other hates them. Maybe they do different kinds of work, I didn't get a chance to ask about details.
I have a fixture for the rest of operations. This process borrows from the V1 set. If I make V3, this might get changed as the vice raised the part so much, it limited my tool length to 3.5 inches.

As far as time to make... I don't make money on this project, and doubt it is possible to.... but it challenges me and keeps me entertained.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Nice work considering it was done on a CNC router. The surface finish is much better than I would have thought given the rigidity. My questions have been answered.
Thank you for posting.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Nice work considering it was done on a CNC router. The surface finish is much better than I would have thought given the rigidity. My questions have been answered.
Thank you for posting.
Surface finish could have been even better if my tool was cleared above the flutes. I have one 8 inch 1/2 ball thats cleared (armana tool), but it was too long. I am thinking of fixturing different for future builds of this housing assembly.

After I clear my workload, I still have alot of finishing up on big fixture itself. C-Bores for plugs to prevent crap from entering the holes, attaching tool holder bar and Z touch sensor for toll lengths. I might also add another tool bar on the RH side to take at least 10 more tools.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Surface finish could have been even better if my tool was cleared above the flutes. I have one 8 inch 1/2 ball thats cleared (armana tool), but it was too long. I am thinking of fixturing different for future builds of this housing assembly.

After I clear my workload, I still have alot of finishing up on big fixture itself. C-Bores for plugs to prevent crap from entering the holes, attaching tool holder bar and Z touch sensor for toll lengths. I might also add another tool bar on the RH side to take at least 10 more tools.

Your plate certainly has very good potential. I really like it, many router folks will follow in your footsteps here I'm sure.
Now, If you told me you used an 8"- 1/2 inch necked back ball prior to seeing the surface finish, I would have said you were crazy lol.
Nice work for sure, I'm assuming you used a 2 flute ?

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Your plate certainly has very good potential. I really like it, many router folks will follow in your footsteps here I'm sure.
Now, If you told me you used an 8"- 1/2 inch necked back ball prior to seeing the surface finish, I would have said you were crazy lol.
Nice work for sure, I'm assuming you used a 2 flute ?
I would like to have used it. I used a 4 long carbide 2 flute. If you look at the picture, you can see it is dull above about 1.5 inches. This is caused by rubbing of the shank against the workpiece. I am going to have to buy a green wheel to clear my endmills above the flutes. The Armanda tool is cleared. BTW, it was 6 inch not 8 long.... I have attached a picture of the style I like using... Note they are very costly endmills. 1674415918548.png

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 3

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am continuously improving this table. I might add a second TC bar on it. Also from factory, they only put 6 TC / bar, because of the dust boot. This machine has none, and won't. I will be seeing how many I can fit on one bar... and adding the second bar to the LH side of my table. Now all I need to do is clear my work, so I can complete the millwright work. !!!

1675781205615.png

1675781255863.png