• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Fixture plate for CNC Router

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks nice. About how long to mill a part like your picture?

I don't quite get the requirement of the vise & 123 blocks. Could you not fixture locate & clamp directly on the tooling plate? Do you have much experience with MiteeBite / cam lock systems? I have 2 cnc buddies, one loves them, the other hates them. Maybe they do different kinds of work, I didn't get a chance to ask about details.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Looks nice. About how long to mill a part like your picture?

I don't quite get the requirement of the vise & 123 blocks. Could you not fixture locate & clamp directly on the tooling plate? Do you have much experience with MiteeBite / cam lock systems? I have 2 cnc buddies, one loves them, the other hates them. Maybe they do different kinds of work, I didn't get a chance to ask about details.
I have a fixture for the rest of operations. This process borrows from the V1 set. If I make V3, this might get changed as the vice raised the part so much, it limited my tool length to 3.5 inches.

As far as time to make... I don't make money on this project, and doubt it is possible to.... but it challenges me and keeps me entertained.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Nice work considering it was done on a CNC router. The surface finish is much better than I would have thought given the rigidity. My questions have been answered.
Thank you for posting.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Nice work considering it was done on a CNC router. The surface finish is much better than I would have thought given the rigidity. My questions have been answered.
Thank you for posting.
Surface finish could have been even better if my tool was cleared above the flutes. I have one 8 inch 1/2 ball thats cleared (armana tool), but it was too long. I am thinking of fixturing different for future builds of this housing assembly.

After I clear my workload, I still have alot of finishing up on big fixture itself. C-Bores for plugs to prevent crap from entering the holes, attaching tool holder bar and Z touch sensor for toll lengths. I might also add another tool bar on the RH side to take at least 10 more tools.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Surface finish could have been even better if my tool was cleared above the flutes. I have one 8 inch 1/2 ball thats cleared (armana tool), but it was too long. I am thinking of fixturing different for future builds of this housing assembly.

After I clear my workload, I still have alot of finishing up on big fixture itself. C-Bores for plugs to prevent crap from entering the holes, attaching tool holder bar and Z touch sensor for toll lengths. I might also add another tool bar on the RH side to take at least 10 more tools.

Your plate certainly has very good potential. I really like it, many router folks will follow in your footsteps here I'm sure.
Now, If you told me you used an 8"- 1/2 inch necked back ball prior to seeing the surface finish, I would have said you were crazy lol.
Nice work for sure, I'm assuming you used a 2 flute ?

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Your plate certainly has very good potential. I really like it, many router folks will follow in your footsteps here I'm sure.
Now, If you told me you used an 8"- 1/2 inch necked back ball prior to seeing the surface finish, I would have said you were crazy lol.
Nice work for sure, I'm assuming you used a 2 flute ?
I would like to have used it. I used a 4 long carbide 2 flute. If you look at the picture, you can see it is dull above about 1.5 inches. This is caused by rubbing of the shank against the workpiece. I am going to have to buy a green wheel to clear my endmills above the flutes. The Armanda tool is cleared. BTW, it was 6 inch not 8 long.... I have attached a picture of the style I like using... Note they are very costly endmills. 1674415918548.png

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 3

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am continuously improving this table. I might add a second TC bar on it. Also from factory, they only put 6 TC / bar, because of the dust boot. This machine has none, and won't. I will be seeing how many I can fit on one bar... and adding the second bar to the LH side of my table. Now all I need to do is clear my work, so I can complete the millwright work. !!!

1675781205615.png

1675781255863.png