• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Five 4x8 sheets of 1/16” aluminum $195 Victoria

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you know where they are I'd go anyway. It's not like you didn't try to reach the guy. Technically they should be yours

There are a lot of low ballers out there on both Kijiji and Market Place. I listed a handicapped scooter with brand new batteries, for $900.00 for a $3,000.00 machine, batteries alone costed $270.00 as I replaced them just to sell the machine, I got offers from $200 to $250. They wanted the machine for free and the batteries partially paid for.

Gave it to the church, let them raffle it off, win, win for the church and congregation. And the dumb idiots that low ball get nothing. Best $270.00 I spent.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
When something is too good to be true beware.

yea like you show up "oh no that was a mistake, its 195 per sheet", lots of guys do that dirty trick with lot items, and chances are because a buyer has already made there way down the scam works

Lots of re-sellers to, its amazing how many guys are on there just to simply try and flip stuff, some of them its not even about making a profit, its about the thrill of getting a deal, and then the thrill of making a few bucks off it (although from the guys i know that do this, in the end its hardly worth the time they put in to get the item, list, re-sell, you would be further ahead working at McDonalds )

There are a lot of low ballers out there on both Kijiji and Market Place. I listed a handicapped scooter with brand new batteries, for $900.00 for a $3,000.00 machine, batteries alone costed $270.00 as I replaced them just to sell the machine, I got offers from $200 to $250. They wanted the machine for free and the batteries partially paid for.

Gave it to the church, let them raffle it off, win, win for the church and congregation. And the dumb idiots that low ball get nothing. Best $270.00 I spent.

You learned the hard way, mobility equipment isnt worth anything second hand, especially chairs/scooters, people that really need them get funding for new stuff every couple years, they are really only worth parts....every time my wife gets a new chair we try to get rid of (usually give away) one of her old/spare ones, it usually takes months to find someone who wants it, and these aren't cheap aluminum chairs, we are talking high end titanium framed chairs (literally 5,000$ new), moral of the story, unless you know someone who wants/needs something like that, dont put any money/time into it

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
we are talking high end titanium framed chairs (literally 5,000$ new),

Yup! My wife just paid 4800 for a chair for her mom. REALLY nice chair. Easy transfer, loads of adjustability, light weight, multi-function, low friction, lots of locks. Luv it!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't have FB to see if alloy was specified so factor that into your intended use, maybe weldability. But ya, seems like new stock is more expensive in any event. AS&S is a good comparative source but of course prices are FOB eastern Canada & shipping would be spendy.

6061-0 $463
3003H-14 (soft) $350
6061-T6 $306
(4x8 sheet of 0.063)

I don't have FB to see if alloy was specified so factor that into your intended use, maybe weldability. But ya, seems like new stock is more expensive in any event. AS&S is a good comparative source but of course prices are FOB eastern Canada & shipping would be spendy.

6061-0 $463
3003H-14 (soft) $350
6061-T6 $306
(4x8 sheet of 0.063)

Yes this is retail, the prices I got are wholesale.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
the last time i bought a 4043 sheet of .065 it was like 150$, it wasnt that long ago, although is possible 6061 is slightly more expensive but i think aircraft spruce prices are pretty close to metal supermarket honestly

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Yup! My wife just paid 4800 for a chair for her mom. REALLY nice chair. Easy transfer, loads of adjustability, light weight, multi-function, low friction, lots of locks. Luv it!
Transfers are tricky, I’ll take any help I can get with them. Plus the human environment of not treating them like freight. (And not touching things that are personal)

Touchy subject, but if there’s a will there’s a way without violating personal spaces

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i do mucho transfers, my wife, her friends, sometimes her co-workers, there is no way around the personal space thing, just something you have to get used to

the easiest ways in my experience, if they are a weight you can manage, one arm under the knees, they hug you over the shoulders, you hug them under with your free arm, up you go, lifting with your back as much as possible.....joking your knees/legs

if they are a little to heavy, put there feet on the ground, a face to face hug, and stand up

some form of torso to torso contact is usually the safest way to preform a transfer, for you and them

the hardest way to transfer someone...trying to grab them from under the arm pits, front, back, thats a struggle every time

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
i do mucho transfers, my wife, her friends, sometimes her co-workers, there is no way around the personal space thing, just something you have to get used to

the easiest ways in my experience, if they are a weight you can manage, one arm under the knees, they hug you over the shoulders, you hug them under with your free arm, up you go, lifting with your back as much as possible.....joking your knees/legs

if they are a little to heavy, put there feet on the ground, a face to face hug, and stand up

some form of torso to torso contact is usually the safest way to preform a transfer, for you and them

the hardest way to transfer someone...trying to grab them from under the arm pits, front, back, thats a struggle every time

I agree with both of you. Personal space is something all of us should try to avoid violating, but sometimes it just can't be safely avoided.

When my dad got cancer, he asked to come and live with me so he could die on a farm like he was born. He didn't want to die in his condo. As the cancer progressed, it got to the point that he had seizures every time he sat on the toilet. It was relatively easy to get him to the toilet but virtually impossible to get him off, cleaned up, and put back in bed. We all learned to do the transfers the way that @phaxtris describes until he started to lose consciousness during and after the seizures. Then it became my job alone because nobody else could handle the dead weight.

Personally, I think respect and love are the right words to use here. They give us the "permissions" we need to do what we have to do.

But I certainly agree that we need to take advantage of every convenience, will, and way to do what we can to avoid violating personal spaces when and if we can.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I agree with both of you. Personal space is something all of us should try to avoid violating, but sometimes it just can't be safely avoided.

When my dad got cancer, he asked to come and live with me so he could die on a farm like he was born. He didn't want to die in his condo. As the cancer progressed, it got to the point that he had seizures every time he sat on the toilet. It was relatively easy to get him to the toilet but virtually impossible to get him off, cleaned up, and put back in bed. We all learned to do the transfers the way that @phaxtris describes until he started to lose consciousness during and after the seizures. Then it became my job alone because nobody else could handle the dead weight.

Personally, I think respect and love are the right words to use here. They give us the "permissions" we need to do what we have to do.

But I certainly agree that we need to take advantage of every convenience, will, and way to do what we can to avoid violating personal spaces when and if we can.
True. Most people needing transfers, have a sense of humour about it, and realize it’s probably gonna be a bit messy

In my experience, there’s usually a way to get them done. Unfortunately smaller people do struggle with helping, brute strength helps to overcome poor technique

Loading a voyageur canoe with less abled folks from a dock, or tubing, or sailing, gives lots of rooms for improvising, but it’s always doable