• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

First Welder - Yes Welder???

JReimer

Hi, I need to get a welder as I don't have one and have just been using a friends MIG Welder and Stick Welder. I do a variety of hobby work from working on a utility trailer to craft projects and some art metal work. I would like to try TIG as I have never done it before and it looks like it has the fine control and versatility on materials. I am interested in the multi process units and have been looking at the Lincoln 180MP.

Here is the question. anyone heard or tried out the Yes Welders? they have some great features and good price right now, but as the saying goes 'too good to be true'.

https://yeswelder.com/collections/best-sellers/products/firstess-mp200

I am a novice on welding and want a versatile machine so any insight and advice would be appreciated.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I love the look and versatility of these new multi-process machines.

I have single purpose, industrial machines. I have been leery about upgrading as my machines run like tanks, and I am insecure about repairability. I'd love to hear from the multi-process guys out there about these things also!

Last edited:

JReimer

I know it is a little of 'Jack of all trades master of none" but I'm not a master and want to do all trades :).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This is like buying anything cheap & asking whatever it will do well - answer sort of depends.
Assuming very occasional hobby use, non lemon unit I would say its not such a bad solution - it certainly does not have quality / control of 10x more expensive unit, but for hobbyist it may not be even noticed.

As Dabbler pointed out the question is of long term durability - if this welder self destructs in say 3 to 5 years even with occasional use - will you be mad?

Also, even with no use, the welder may not work in say 10 years - will you be angry?

Its also good to have a unit with at least 1 year warranty from trusted source - so if you get a lemon that blows or is dead on arrival you can exchange it.

Note that big brands do offer fully over priced spare parts - these cheap brands offer nothing AFAIK. Well, maybe some now do offer something but do not expect miracles.

Do not expect even exceptional model of these - like anti lemon - to even be close in durability to old transformer models.

All electronics eventually dies - even made by big boys. Heavy use speeds up dying - especially if you test the duty cycle. This is true for even most professional welders. I assume transformer models do die as well (say isolation break down) but under normal use these outlast most humans.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I seems like a decent choice. I don’t see anywhere if it has a metal drive or a plastic one I’m just saying this because on forums people have complained in the past from wire driving issues.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Those yes welders have been around for a few years with a lot of positive reviews

I wouldnt spent 999$ on the one you linked though, there is a 200a one that's 400ish dollars I would personally give a go

A friend of myne who is also a welder has one of the 200a 3in1 vevor welders, he says it welds fine

I think the name brand ones are crazy over priced now, especially with the monster inflation we have been having...3-4k for an garage welder is crazy imo

But... Will it last 5 years/10year/more, who knows maybe, maybe not

JReimer

Yeah the one I linked above I liked for the fact that it also included a plasma cutter as part of the 5 in 1. they also have this one for just a multi process welder.

https://yeswelder.com/collections/t...r-tig-225p-multi-process-cold-spot-tig-welder

but I feel like not only am I losing the plasma cutter option it also is a downgrade in welder performance. But that might just be marketing working on me with the first one having a bigger discount on it currently.

Has anyone here tried one of the YesWelders? I saw them first on Kickstarter so it gives me the impression they aren't just a cheap import... again this might just be marketing working on me.

WilliamR

The igbt/inverter stuff is getting better, but you are definitely getting lower quality components with the cheap ones. Even red and blue were having trouble with boards etc in the early days. A buddy that repairs them said where the machine is used (heated shop versus in the field) can have a big effect.

They are great when they work and lots of features. The inverter switching is fast and gives a really nice arc. Also very compact. Unfortunately if it poops you lose your mig, stick, tig and plasma if equipped.

I guess I am a dinosaur as well. My dual shield hobart wire feeder was made late 60's, industrial usage all it's life and is just too overbuilt to ever wear out. I bought used Miller industrial over offshore and have never had an issue.

garball

I haven’t tried any of the aforementioned welders but I can tell you from my experience, Everlast welders are excellent. I had 2 of them (Power Tig 250 and a 253 DPI mig). I’ve heard their plasma cutters are very good too. I’ve used a CK World Wide 200A AC/DC welder and it’s superb. I now own 2 Italian welders and and a Hyperthermia and even though the internals are the best I’ve seen, the Everlast welds just as good. I’d avoid any of the cheaper Chinese welders if you plan on sticking with welding, it’s just a safer bet.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ive heard Everlast are decent. That said, Ive had my Lincoln SP170 since 92 i think. Tons of wire through it, never an issue. Its been a great machine and is used very often. I would have a hard time going cheap chinese on a welder.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a Millermatic 250 (non-electronic) and a Miller EconoTig. They have never let me down. You can get a good used Miller for under 1200$ even now if you shop around. None of these is multi-process, however.

The TIG is also a stick welder - I don't cut enough to use a plasma. For aluminum I used to just run the wire through the normal path. Lately I have gone halfsies on a spool gun, but haven't used it , yet.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
The first welder you linked....your paying quite a premium for a built in plasma....now that im on a pc i see its 1360$ cad....so 500$ welder and another 850$ for a plasma? somethings fishy there

as for the downgrade in welder performance, what are the amperage capability's of each...i dont see any actual numbers? they both seem to have the same features, both high freq start, both pulse, both 110/220

you could buy a 50a Chinese plasma and a 200a 3in1 for less than 1360, and at least if one or the other shit the bed your not out both

also personally, i wouldnt pay more than 100$ extra for a machine with pulse or high freq start, neither are really that nessacary without ac

That-Guy

Premium Member
I absolutely love my Lincoln MP 210, the first one I had got legs... The second on I've got is 5 years in and going strong. Can arc weld a rusty plough and tig some nice SS lines for the brewery within 20 mins of each other. Only things I'm not too chuffed about is the 120V performance, it has cooked its own power inlet twice now (warranty non issue, guess it happens a lot) so I've taken the 120V cord and tagged it for emergency only. The other gripe is that for tig welding, if you want to use a peddle, the side door has to be left open. Just seems like an oversight and I'm pedantic. The Mig welds it makes are fantastic and its so easy to use. I know the are $$ but I hate spending money being cheap, done that too many times to myself.

This all being said, I have used a 180 for a long time, and they are the last of the true transformer welders. Not a lot of anything to go wrong, and they weld great.

I'm sold on Primeweld Tig225 love it as it does Tig and stick (if I need any heavy welding). Got rid of my MIG.

Most multi-multi-function machines leave you lacking somewhere. In most cases its TIG as they do the short cut here and it doesn't weld Aluminium. So use MIG as long as they include a spool gun. Yes Aluminium can be welded with stick, but you need the rods and skill. The Yeswelder does not weld Aluminium!

Most of the better dedicated machines do other functions but pick the one that gives the functions where you need it most.

My take on welding:

MIG, quick, easy, minimum skill, dirty, versatile, medium cost.
TIG precise, extremely versatile, slowest, requires a bit of skill, higher cost.
STICK quick, dirty, extemely versatile, low cost, requires skill.

If I was limited to one and had to make a recommendation it would most likely be MIG, however, since I've switched to TIG (and have the option of STICK) I am inclined to suggest this route depending primary on application.

If you are looking for inexpensive MIG is the way to go.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
......most Tig welders don't weld aluminum, it's only very recently that anyone has even made a multi function welder that could do Ac Tig so I wouldn't say anyone is skimping on any features

Ac Tig has always been relegated to a few specialized machines

If you NEED an AC tig welder....buy an AC tig welder, because unless you can think of something you are going to be building/repairing out of aluminum semi regularly 99 out of 100 small garage jobs are going to be steel, and don't forget, 200a of ac Tig doesn't go very far

So I'm going to be a bean counter here for a minute, a Chinese 3in1 is ~450, a Lincoln 3in1 is ~3000....you could burn up 6 chinese welders before even reaching the cost of one Lincoln....so theres that

WilliamR

My take on welding:

MIG, quick, easy, minimum skill, dirty, versatile, medium cost.
Surprisingly GMAW flat position has highest rate of failure on CWB test day.

Might be easy and minimum skill to make a spark and pretty bead, but a lot more involved to avoid lack of fusion.

I's not dirty.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Surprisingly GMAW flat position has highest rate of failure on CWB test day.

Might be easy and minimum skill to make a spark and pretty bead, but a lot more involved to avoid lack of fusion.

It's not dirty.

True story, flat cwb for MIG (metal core/flux core) and stick have the highest failure rates

WilliamR

True story, flat cwb for MIG (metal core/flux core) and stick have the highest failure rates
Ask me how I know :rolleyes: After 6 bend test failures in a row I asked instructor wtf was going on? Others were having same issue. He said they got a big laugh out of leaving gmaw section to last when everyone thought they were welders.

7018 and dual shield never bit me in the ass like that haha.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
......most Tig welders don't weld aluminum, it's only very recently that anyone has even made a multi function welder that could do Ac Tig so I wouldn't say anyone is skimping on any features
Ac Tig has always been relegated to a few specialized machines
If you NEED an AC tig welder....buy an AC tig welder, because unless you can think of something you are going to be building/repairing out of aluminum semi regularly 99 out of 100 small garage jobs are going to be steel, and don't forget, 200a of ac Tig doesn't go very far

I don't get what you guys are saying. I thought most all current TIG welders were AC/DC & capable of aluminum? Or are you trying to make the distinction of teeh reference multi-function machine?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I don't get what you guys are saying. I thought most all current TIG welders were AC/DC & capable of aluminum? Or are you trying to make the distinction of teeh reference multi-function machine?

Nope, take Miller for example, of the entire current lineup only 3 have Ac tig, they have at least 7 others that don't, for example cst's, maxstar's, xmt's, multimatics, Bobcats, trailblazers, big blue's + the legacy machines

Ask me how I know :rolleyes: After 6 bend test failures in a row I asked instructor wtf was going on? Others were having same issue. He said they got a big laugh out of leaving gmaw section to last when everyone thought they were welders.

7018 and dual shield never bit me in the ass like that haha.

You should see a b pressure welder pout after he fails a flat cwb....better not tell him to go practice

I've personally only failed a flat aluminum MIG (very high failure rate anyhow...whattever) and a stick virt, when I was new...I haven't failed a cwb in 15 years....I still hate doing them though