First milling machine

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

$4,500 (LANGLEY BC)​

Milling machine approx travels are 12x32x5. Powered on x. New 3hp 3phase motor. New controls with VFD, will run on single phase, so yes you could use it in your garage. R8 taper with collet holder and collets in pics included.

00V0V_j23J7gb9vOvz_0t90CI_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yep good price. I sold similar machine, but with power X and auto draw bar for few hundred $$$ more - BUT 2 years ago. So this is a price from 2 years ago, not including inflation.
Through its not a great price or a steal - just good.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Ok, looks like I'm heading to Vancouver on Friday to have a look at this one; will likely hire a hauler to bring it to Victoria for me - Seems to be an all-in rate of $950 [ferry, taxes, pickup in Langley, drop in Victoria].
Before I spend a day and ton on ferries, what are some queries I can make remotely? I already have this from the seller:
There is no noticeable slop in the X and Y of the machine. I got this machine from a shop that I did contract electrical work for. They had a bunch of them but did not use this one a lot because the other ones had the factory powerfeed on the X, Y and the knee. One of their other machines had an issue with the milling head so instead of fixing it they swapped the heads with this machine. I ended up putting in a new motor and bearings, a belt and motor pulley. There is no vibrations from the machine but there is some belt chatter at high speeds which is quite normal. I also ended up replacing the quill spring. The reason I'm selling it is that I have no use for it. I'm an electrician by trade but work in a machine shop that does maintenance for a manufacturing plant, so if I need to make something I can do so at work. Also the shop I have it sitting in has another milling machine sitting there as well. I'd say the weight you mention (about 2200lbs) is about right give or take a few. I have a forklift here that will pick it up.
Thanks

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I particularly do not care too much for slop on X and Y as even if there was plenty this is not really an issue today with everyone using a DRO. I guess unless the lead is like totally worn off and creates other issue when milling.

If you trust the seller then I would just ship it to my home. I shipped to a guy in Vancouver and he never inspected it.

I guess you could ask for a video of it running from low speed to high speed to make sure the thing runs and he is not down playing vibration.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok, looks like I'm heading to Vancouver on Friday to have a look at this one; will likely hire a hauler to bring it to Victoria for me - Seems to be an all-in rate of $950 [ferry, taxes, pickup in Langley, drop in Victoria].
Before I spend a day and ton on ferries, what are some queries I can make remotely? I already have this from the seller:

Thanks

You asked so I'll give you my checklist. Keep in mind that I'm no expert. But I was buying a big Mill and I needed something to go by so I made this list from things I heard or saw. It's better than going blind.

I used this for myself and for several others who wanted me to look at a machine for them.

Bring an Dial indicator and magnetic stand, a set of really long 24" and regular length Flat & Philips screwdrivers, a Caliper, a 3/4" wrench, and a nice bright flashlight.

Read a manual on how it all works.

Overall Condition,
Paint, repaint
How many times
Obviously to sell or pride
Any major damage
Bent handles or parts
How well used is it
Discuss machine history
Does it work at all?
What doesn't work & why
Look around the sellers shop
Get a sense for how owner
treats his other machines.

Bottom End - Knee
Vertical Ways Condition
Wipers Intact
Any Way covers? Look under.
Oil pump working
Signs of fresh oil
Lots of way oil is good thing
Z Crank Castle
Teeth Condition
Worm gear wear
Top to bottom
Gotta look w flashlight
How to evaluate slop?
Gib Lock Working
Gibs worn - play?

Table X & Y
Inspect surface - flat, pecks,
Well maintained / stoned
Table slop
Gibb condition,
Gibb locks functional
Examine x/y Leade Screws
Measure Backlash, ends & ctr
Backlash vs lead screw wear
Examine adjustment Screw
Has it been recently used
Might be hiding something
Way condition
Wear, scars, damage,
Look under Way covers
Oil retention flaking
Condition of Felt wipers
Wear at ends vs middle
Missing parts

Spindle/Head
Smooth by hand and in drive
Noises - Esp grinding noise,
squealing, and banging noise
Run up and down rpm range
In both gears and fwrd/rev
Reverse needed for low spd
But also check spindle in rev
Belt noise
Quill auto feed in all 3 speeds
Both levers work?
Quill Reverse
Quill Autostop (be careful not
to damage machine)
Quill rack smooth
Quill play
Quill Backlash
Quill Spring
Just holds handle
Does not return handle
Feed wheel present & works
Brake condition and wear
Back Gear Noise
Inspect Belt
Motor Noise & Vibration
Remove bottom cover
Look at belt and pullies
Spindle taper condition
Badly worn or scored?
Oiler cups ok & well used?
Missing parts

Ram
Bolts in good shape
Ram movement
Missing parts
Nod adjustment
Nod stop
Loosen tighten lock bolts
Check nod rack & pinion gear
Check Front/Rr ram rack
Eye Bolt thread condition

Last edited:

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I now have a decent history on the machine and its use level (light, for a resonable reason - other machines in the shop it came from had powered Y in addition to powered X). I've come to terms (better than listed), and have a hauler. I'm going to take a chance on it at that price, knowing I can almost certainly offload it without too much loss.
Now I need to sort out how to get off the flatbed when it shows up in my driveway. Checking the width against my gantry, which might well be coming back to Victoria from the island tomorrow morning. Otherwise I'll need to find a forklift for an hour.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sounds like a reasonable gamble to me @PaulL.

Best to make sure the forklift can handle the weight at full extension to center of trailer. Its that or drag it to the edge. I also understand those Firsts were quite a bit heavier than the Bridgeports.

Assuming it's everything you think it is, you are gunna LOVE IT!!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
‘FIRST’ knee mills are quite popular in Ontario.
I know of quite a few in T&D shops as well as Repair Services.

Agreed. I even know a few T&D shop owners who have a First in their home shops. That is saying something. Nice machines in my opinion.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
It's been loaded, and should be in my driveway tomorrow mid-day! Gantry is set up, shop is cleared, might have to pull off the top rail of the garden gate to get through, but I'm all sorts of excited.

Tecnico

(Dave)
It's been loaded, and should be in my driveway tomorrow mid-day! Gantry is set up, shop is cleared, might have to pull off the top rail of the garden gate to get through, but I'm all sorts of excited.
Fantastic, congrats on the acquisition, sounds like you got a good machine. Price wise I too think you did well based on the LC1-1/2 I recently bought.

I'm not deep in experience with Firsts but I can say I'm not disappointed so far with mine as I clean it up and get to know it. I've found a few subtle updates Long Chang made but generally mine follows the BP pattern with a few metric fasteners thrown in like the off-the-shelf M6X1 R8 collet grub screw.

Enjoy, and photos of the move are eagerly awaited.

Tecnico :cool:

PS Did you get a lead screw nut adjuster tool? With a bunch of Firsts the shop might have one they could throw in. I've seen a line drawing of one (in a Sharp manual) and it looks like a split tube with different diameters at each end that fit ring lock nuts (Google SKF KN10 for an example).

Last edited:

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Fantastic, congrats on the acquisition, sounds like you got a good machine. Price wise I too think you did well based on the LC1-1/2 I recently bought.
I managed to keep it to $5k including shipping. Given how few machines there are on Vancouver Island, I think I've done ok.
PS Did you get a lead screw nut adjuster tool? With a bunch of Firsts the shop might have one they could throw in. I've seen a line drawing of one (in a Sharp manual) and it looks like a split tube with different diameters at each end that fit ring lock nuts (Google SKF KN10 for an example).
I'll know tomorrow when I start sorting through the box of odds-and-sods coming with it. It didn't come straight from that shop; previous owner got it from them.