• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

First Live Steam Project

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have a few pictures and a short video of a project I am working on right now. This is one of the best mini projects I have attempted to date. I have been wanting to build this for 3 years now and finally have all the tools and the time to build it.
IMG_8293.JPG
So what i have built is a little Oscillating steam engine. As a kid I loved playing with my Dad's stationary steam models. You can still buy these at Lee Valley and PM Hobby craft but they are really tiny. I started by programming the Little Syil CNC late I have in the garage. I turned enough parts to make 10 little steam engines. I only spent the time to take one motor to completion. I have enough tuned parts that if someone else wants to make one I will sell you the turned parts and you can finish it off in one day by doing all the necessary drilling and tapping. If you want to build it from scratch there are lots of great plans floating around the internet. There is a similar motor to the one I built on a site called little machine shop. I changed the design to improve the quality and streamline the machining process. The finished motor can run on as little as 5psi or more if you want it to go super fast. I am running this little engine using the air compressor for now but in the future I will make myself a little steam boiler.
IMG_8294.JPG
The other motors will have a longer drive shaft to attach a small pulley to.
IMG_8297.JPG

Last edited:

Kris Jensen

Nice job! I'm a welder so I never read any of your complicated words just watch the video and looked at the pictures. Is that the one I was playing with at the science center

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
The little steam motor we had at the science center actually belongs to @Jwest7788
I'll see about making a vid too.

How much are you selling the turned part's kit for? I might like to snag one!

Side note: I'm thinking we're about due for a meetup. Sometime in January likely, thoughts?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have not decided on a price yet. E-mail me with what you want to pay and we will strike a deal. I have attached a picture of what you get. Also included in the price is the short piece of precicion ground rod you will need for the crank. The cylinder and the piston are brass and the main bearing is bronze. IMG_20151214_201034454.jpg