Fire....Prepare for it.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So, what flavor are we shopping for? Not that anyone here is likely to offer an opinion.
Well it has been pretty green around here for as long as i can remember, I did start out driving a Massy 65 gas job when i was 10 or so then moved up to a JD 830. Brother has a Kubota that he doesn't like for bale handling, to tippy he says. Sorry Yobota. We don't need big hp as the one we lost was 85-90 hp. Has to be fwa for sure with a self leveling loader. Like;y not another 6400 jd though, to many issues with those german built units.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well it has been pretty green around here for as long as i can remember, I did start out driving a Massy 65 gas job when i was 10 or so then moved up to a JD 830. Brother has a Kubota that he doesn't like for bale handling, to tippy he says. Sorry Yobota. We don't need big hp as the one we lost was 85-90 hp. Has to be fwa for sure with a self leveling loader. Like;y not another 6400 jd though, to many issues with those german built units.

My 50hp diesel Deere 5210 Front Assist is a bullet proof bull with self levelling loader and calcium in R4 tires. Waaaay under rated. I'd get another in a heart beat.

I had it at my previous hobby farm. When we first moved here, the neighbours all laughed at her. Now, even the red guys want one just like her. It works way beyond her HP class. The only problem I ever had with her is the need to plug her in to start below -10C and a new battery after 30 years! .

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
sorry to hear that, and yeah, glad it wasn't worse. Sounds like you were quick thinking, commendable in the panic of the moment.

I had a small fire once and it is stunning how fast it gets out of control. Like seconds away from disaster. I had a wood box full of cardboard boxes of fasteners on a bench shelf that caught some molten metal from torching. By the time I realized it , the bench was starting to burn (steel but painted and wood shelves). I grabbed the fairly heavy wood tray, flames blazing one to two feet in the air and carried it (running past snow blower and gas cans) outside through my crowded shop without tripping. Not sure how i got the door opened. Then, its so smoke filled inside it was scary going in to put the bench out. Meanwhile in the panic I completely forgot about the fire extinguishers. Idiot.

Did everything wrong :(. A saw more the value of training after that. Yeah so much of training seems common sense obvious, but in a panic situation your mind needs to go the drilled in training without thinking...... Like grabbing one of the two fire extinguishers so carefully installed!

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
sure glad your ok and the only loss was the tractor.
The tractor testimonial and all the others about shop fires sure solidifies my shop law that nothing gets torched or welded inside...never.
The torch is on wheels and the welder has cables long enough to get 50 ft from the shop, heavy buggers but still manageable.
I have to say that the only fire I can remeber starting after welding many pieces of equipment from combines & haying equipment notorious for accumulating flamab,es or heavy trucks and heavy equipment with lots of oil leaks was my frayed flannel coat i was wearing when welding...that damn thing started to flame like a tiger torch by the time i got it off.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For sure this episode was a eye opener. I've had lots of small fires due to welding sparks, never had one take off as fast as this. That damn stuff they put in fire extinguishers is a real pain to clean up, everything in the shop has a coating on it. :rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That damn stuff they put in fire extinguishers is a real pain to clean up, everything in the shop has a coating on it. :rolleyes:

I second that. But better to clean up that mess than lose a barn or a machine.

My middle son is a fireman. So I do fire drills in my mind once a year or so. The idea is to burn in the alternatives so you don't get stuck doing something stupid instead of the right thing.

Where is the nearest extinguisher. How do you use it? Where is the fire blanket (a non messy way to put out a small fire). Where are all the water outlets and hoses. Make sure every corner of the shop has an exit path. How do you get out a window. Where are the emergency numbers. Who do you all call and in what order.

Same goes for chemical spills and accidents/injuries.

That last one is my biggest weakness cuz I usually work alone. Most farmers do. Farmer injuries dominate the emergency room traffic in farm country. 3 of my last 4 trips to ER were farm related incidents. The exception was my stroke. Lots of close calls too.

In my mind, the best time to think about an emergency plan is before something happens. Not during.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
@6.5 Fan , glad that you were able to minimize the damage.

My wife lit a fire in the cottages fireplace without opening the damper. It was a REALLY valuable experience on how quickly smoke can fill a living room!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Back in grade 8 shop class welding a project and feeling the warmth, looking down seeing the cuff of your pants on fire from being chewed up by the bicycle chain another time welding with my son on fire watch and look up to see his cuffs on fire in his defence he was watching me.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Ohhhh, are we talking fire stories now ? ive got a few good ones to my name thats for sure :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I set my hair on fire the other day. Welding on the bench at about eye level, and could feel a BB hit me in the top of the head, and the familiar smell of burning hair followed. I should make a leather flap or something for up there, don't have much left on top and gotta protect what's remaining :D.

This is one of those times when we really need more icons. I chose a wow, but I'd like to have laughed too!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I wrote that to hopefully solicit a laugh about the lighter sides of accidental fires. It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where kramer set his hair on fire lol. I had a good chuckle about it. Laughter has always been my preferred coping mechanism for dealing with shitty situations.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I wrote that to hopefully solicit a laugh about the lighter sides of accidental fires. It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where kramer set his hair on fire lol. I had a good chuckle about it. Laughter has always been my preferred coping mechanism for dealing with shitty situations.

here i thought you were just bragging about having enough hair to be able to set it on fire :D