• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Fire foundry

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
With a bit of wood and some easy summer bevy’s I’ve spent the last bit of the year doing fire pit casting with my new crucible 0B6C1C84-256C-4B83-87D9-19ECE3EF98AF.jpeg i put the crucible on the ash bed in the middle and create a ring of fire around that, reforming the fire after a night of rain was the most time consuming part. B7C7157A-8A4D-4360-A363-D0F1DE6CB81E.jpeg When it’s time to pour it’s not as hot as the foundry so less bubbling and a tighter grain structure are noticeable when doing inspection breaks when still hot enough to break clean.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What size is that crucible? And how long from set in until melt? I have a 5 gallon furnace (propane for now) but I have seem 20 lb crucibles that would greatly expand what I could cast, and they just don't fit in! ;o)

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Great thing is it’s scaleable, this was a half melted arctic cat motor I salvaged, and I down sized it without a crucible in a larger fire

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not here, great for a fall or spring exercise in campfire wizardry
I will keep this in mind. Here in BC we have these awesome fire rings that are about .75 meter across. I bet they would concentrate the heat nicely - and I didn't see anything online about not being able to pour molten metal in your campsite!