• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Product Fine tooth hole saw?

Product

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was trying to notch some tubing today to make handrails. My 1.75 bi-metal hole saw has very coarse teeth which tend to grab to work. Does anyone know if fine tooth bi-metal holesaws are available?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a carbide tip hole saw just like that but it’s only 1/2” deep.
I just happened to have ordered that same one at 5:15 this afternoon @Degen
Glad that I made a good choice:)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That carbide looks coarser than the typical coarse tooth bi-metal? I know I've seen 'fine teeth' in the big box stores Makita? Dewalt? Lennox? but just not landing on them. The regular bi-metal work surprisingly well but I they really need to have both part & drill supported vs freehand & use the center pilot drill if you can, especially where you initially only have partial contact

1694830116283.png 1694830024912.png

Attachments

• 1694830110093.png
    1694830110093.png
    891.7 KB · Views: 1

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That carbide looks coarser than the typical coarse tooth bi-metal? I know I've seen 'fine teeth' in the big box stores Makita? Dewalt? Lennox? but just not landing on them. The regular bi-metal work surprisingly well but I they really need to have both part & drill supported vs freehand & use the center pilot drill if you can, especially where you initially only have partial contact

View attachment 38300View attachment 38298
I have a whole set of those carbide cutters and they work amazing. The problem with my set is they are only 1/2" deep so are only really good for thinner materials.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
LOL - I was dumpster diving at Boeing Surplus many years ago when they were scrapping a plant in Kent.
This is one of their precision hole saws used for cutting holes in titanium airframes. It is 8" long and much harder than a file.
Cuts a LOVELY hole!

Question really should be - why on earth do I have that?

:cool:
Amazing!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Just a hole saw in my mill...

You might just not have the speed and pressure dialed in, that should do a much better job than the cheap tube notcher i use with a cordless drill on the back of the truck.

some of the higher end tube notchers use a big endmill and geed the tube into the side of the endmill....although i dont imagine you want to buy an endmill that big

the other alternative is just make 2 30 dege cuts on the end of the pipe like this /\ and a quick touch up with the grinder makes a satisfactory cope for a mig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You might just not have the speed and pressure dialed in, that should do a much better job than the cheap tube notcher i use with a cordless drill on the back of the truck.

some of the higher end tube notchers use a big endmill and geed the tube into the side of the endmill....although i dont imagine you want to buy an endmill that big

the other alternative is just make 2 30 dege cuts on the end of the pipe like this /\ and a quick touch up with the grinder makes a satisfactory cope for a mig
I may end up doing it freehand as I only have to make two angled copes.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Have you ever tried annular cutters. They beat a hole saw by a country mile for smaller holes.
They will actually cut a hole where one side comes out of the metal without any effort.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’ve notched a lot of thin tubing having made a lot of bicycle frames. I use mostly Morse hole saws and they are reasonably fine pitch. I got mine from McMaster-Carr. If you can find them, the discontinued Starrett constant pitch ones are good too.

Make yourself a more rigid arbor on the lathe. Just a 3/4” bar with a 5/8”-18 thread on the end.

Heavy cutting lube and slow speeds. I mostly use saws in the 1-2” range and run them at 150-400rpm