Product Fine tooth hole saw?

Product

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
I was trying to notch some tubing today to make handrails. My 1.75 bi-metal hole saw has very coarse teeth which tend to grab to work. Does anyone know if fine tooth bi-metal holesaws are available?

Degen

Ultra Member

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
I have a carbide tip hole saw just like that but it’s only 1/2” deep.
I just happened to have ordered that same one at 5:15 this afternoon @Degen
Glad that I made a good choice:)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That carbide looks coarser than the typical coarse tooth bi-metal? I know I've seen 'fine teeth' in the big box stores Makita? Dewalt? Lennox? but just not landing on them. The regular bi-metal work surprisingly well but I they really need to have both part & drill supported vs freehand & use the center pilot drill if you can, especially where you initially only have partial contact

1694830116283.png 1694830024912.png

Attachments

• 1694830110093.png
    1694830110093.png
    891.7 KB · Views: 1

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
That carbide looks coarser than the typical coarse tooth bi-metal? I know I've seen 'fine teeth' in the big box stores Makita? Dewalt? Lennox? but just not landing on them. The regular bi-metal work surprisingly well but I they really need to have both part & drill supported vs freehand & use the center pilot drill if you can, especially where you initially only have partial contact

View attachment 38300View attachment 38298
I have a whole set of those carbide cutters and they work amazing. The problem with my set is they are only 1/2" deep so are only really good for thinner materials.

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
LOL - I was dumpster diving at Boeing Surplus many years ago when they were scrapping a plant in Kent.
This is one of their precision hole saws used for cutting holes in titanium airframes. It is 8" long and much harder than a file.
Cuts a LOVELY hole!

Question really should be - why on earth do I have that?

:cool:
Amazing!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Just a hole saw in my mill...

You might just not have the speed and pressure dialed in, that should do a much better job than the cheap tube notcher i use with a cordless drill on the back of the truck.

some of the higher end tube notchers use a big endmill and geed the tube into the side of the endmill....although i dont imagine you want to buy an endmill that big

the other alternative is just make 2 30 dege cuts on the end of the pipe like this /\ and a quick touch up with the grinder makes a satisfactory cope for a mig

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
You might just not have the speed and pressure dialed in, that should do a much better job than the cheap tube notcher i use with a cordless drill on the back of the truck.

some of the higher end tube notchers use a big endmill and geed the tube into the side of the endmill....although i dont imagine you want to buy an endmill that big

the other alternative is just make 2 30 dege cuts on the end of the pipe like this /\ and a quick touch up with the grinder makes a satisfactory cope for a mig
I may end up doing it freehand as I only have to make two angled copes.

Larry_C9

Premium Member
Have you ever tried annular cutters. They beat a hole saw by a country mile for smaller holes.
They will actually cut a hole where one side comes out of the metal without any effort.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’ve notched a lot of thin tubing having made a lot of bicycle frames. I use mostly Morse hole saws and they are reasonably fine pitch. I got mine from McMaster-Carr. If you can find them, the discontinued Starrett constant pitch ones are good too.

Make yourself a more rigid arbor on the lathe. Just a 3/4” bar with a 5/8”-18 thread on the end.

Heavy cutting lube and slow speeds. I mostly use saws in the 1-2” range and run them at 150-400rpm