• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Finally got tired of swaping the tailstock wrench

Kelly McLaughlin

Been making a bunch of parts for the mill project lately and got this idea from the inheritance machine videos. So far it seems to work really well and surprisingly smooth. The bearing is a 51102 off amazon that I used on the table of the mill. 5 for 16.00 so if it doesn't work out no big deal but so far so good : )

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 50

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I added needle bearings to both my lathe tool post as well as the three clamping bolts for my round column mill. All I can say is if you have a round column mill order a few needle bearings because they are a really worthwhile improvement.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I added needle bearings to both my lathe tool post as well as the three clamping bolts for my round column mill. All I can say is if you have a round column mill order a few needle bearings because they are a really worthwhile improvement.

What is this mod? What three clamping bolts? Please post an image.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Some mills have two, some have three.
The bearings reduce friction allowing more clamping force.
Yes , the head clamping bolts and I have three.

Lifting/lowering the head before this mod was a PITA partially because access on either side of my mill is somewhat constrained space wise, so I was typically reaching in a somewhat narrow space while either torquing the clamping bolts or cranking the lever. I used a large wrench for the clamping bolts and dropped it too often because of the awkward position.

The first improvement was to replace the hex nuts and wrench with long handles for more leverage alleviating the need for the wrench. The combination of more leverage and reduced friction because of the needle bearings, allows one modest tap with my palm to loosen the nut and then even just back of the hand pressure to rotate 90 degrees to fully loosen.

On the other side I replaced the hand crank with a small motor so no more cranking, just flip a toggle switch and wait a few seconds for the desired height.

It changes the task of lifting the head from a PITA to a pretty trivial affair.
1593EBF3-367D-4DE7-94B0-5B241F95DF22.jpeg

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Been making a bunch of parts for the mill project lately and got this idea from the inheritance machine videos. So far it seems to work really well and surprisingly smooth. The bearing is a 51102 off amazon that I used on the table of the mill. 5 for 16.00 so if it doesn't work out no big deal but so far so good : )
I like it! I currently have my oldest and most beat up combination wrench where you have that space age lever. I think I feel a project coming on. Would look much better with the brass handles I made for the lathe than what I currently use.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Steven! I cleaned it with 99% isopropyl and used Birchwood Casey gun blue. several coats to get an even finish. then after dry a top coat f wd 40 easy to maintain, may need to be touched up after a few years but matched the tool post well enough : ).

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hi Steven! I cleaned it with 99% isopropyl and used Birchwood Casey gun blue. several coats to get an even finish. then after dry a top coat f wd 40 easy to maintain, may need to be touched up after a few years but matched the tool post well enough : ).
I used to do cold blue on firearm and shop related items. Its fast but the end result is meh.
I since adopted the rust blue method, Not exactly slap on and walk away. But the result is top shelf!

Alawishes

I tried installing a thrust bearing on the front of my Record vise. Seems to work fine but I’m not sure if helped hugely, although in theory it should. A bit of a pain getting the vise apart and back together — not quite as simple as I originally thought :).

Kelly McLaughlin

I'm not sure a vise is the correct application for a thrust bearing. In the case of the tool post as you apply tension it quite often will rotate from the increase in drag which is what the bearing cures. In the case of a vise the tendency would be to crush the thrust bearing as the pressure threshold is "I think" well beyond what the bearing is designed for. Rotation isn't an issue because of the way a vise is designed. We'll see how it stands up over time. You'll need some test instruments to see if it helped : ) Keep us posted with your findings!

Rauce

Ultra Member
Some styles of vises have a thrust bearing where the design has the lead screw thrust opposite of the force the vice applies. Could be plain bearing or a roller thrust bearing. For example Kurt style milling Vises.

Alawishes

I'm not sure a vise is the correct application for a thrust bearing. In the case of the tool post as you apply tension it quite often will rotate from the increase in drag which is what the bearing cures. In the case of a vise the tendency would be to crush the thrust bearing as the pressure threshold is "I think" well beyond what the bearing is designed for. Rotation isn't an issue because of the way a vise is designed. We'll see how it stands up over time. You'll need some test instruments to see if it helped : ) Keep us posted with your findings!
Agreed Kelly, non-standard for sure. I saw this idea on a University of youTube course one day so thought I'd invest $5 on some genuine Chinese thrust bearings. The screw needed to be cleaned and relubed anyway so I thought it was a good time to give this a try. I can always take it off if the bearing croaks in the future. It is made up of 30 x 1/4" needles rather than ball bearings, so lots more contact surface. I'm currently saving up for some test instruments.... My lathes are outfitted with the 40 position Multifix toolpost/holder systems, so once I get them to hold a tool at 90 degrees to the spindle axis I rarely have to adjust the post angle. Cheers, al.