• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Filter

slow-poke

Ultra Member
We installed a water fountain in the backyard this year. Looks great, sounds great however we get a lot of debris falling from overhanging trees. It does not take long and the input grate on the pump gets congested and the pump is inside the mid section base, so cleaning is a big hassle. There are two cut-outs in the mid section base that allow water from the lowest bowl to get to the pump so I tried inserting a nylon pot scrubber in each hole to act as a filter, it helps but only delays the cleaning process. I need a real solution.

I'm thinking of setting up a second pump that would be accessible that does nothing other than filter the water in the lower bowl. Finding a pump is easy, but what to use for the filter?

I don't mind cleaning it fairly often, but It would be best if the filter was fairly small so it can either hide in the bottom bowl or be external and hide behind the fountain.

The debris becomes quite fine because it is constantly circulating through the pump.

I'm looking for filter ideas/suggestions?
46ECAF87-03D1-4FD5-883F-5212AC5CF2E4.jpeg

Simple wye strainer with a blow-off valve. Get one with a 20 or 40 mesh screen. I’d go with a 3/4” one in stainless, easy to get from Sure Flow Equipment, Unified Alloys, Boshart, Process & Steam, Islip Flow Control. Or any plumbing wholesaler. Amazon or McMaster Carr can do them, but at 2 or 3 times the cost.

We had a water fountain and a 500 gal water garden at our last house. We got rid of those problems with a 1 acre pond here at the farm.....

Seriously though. I installed a biological filter system in a box under the deck that only needed cleaning once a year before winter. You could make a decorative stone system for yours. Then you can have small koi in your fountain!

You can also create your own DIY filter box using a plastic container, some fine mesh filter material, and some gravel. Simply cut a hole in the side of the container near the bottom and place the mesh filter material over the hole. Then, fill the container with gravel. The gravel will help to support the mesh filter and prevent it from collapsing. The filter box can be placed in the lower bowl of the fountain.

Back