• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

File extensions not allowed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Why are .doc and .odt files not allowed?

No idea - prolly against embedded viruses.

Let's put it this way, if you attached a doc or odt (which both support auto macros) or a zip or equivalent, I would not open it on any machine of mine.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think I've successfully uploaded PDF's so another option might be convert the doc to that format? I think all the Microsoft apps have PDF ability built in, but there are also freeware 3rd party print (to pdf) apps. Even cad drawings for example. PDFs are more cross platform readable & generally word searchable, whereas a picture format is not. Our IT/Admin savvy guys can probably correct me on all this.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I've successfully uploaded PDF's so another option might be convert the doc to that format? I think all the Microsoft apps have PDF ability built in, but there are also freeware 3rd party print (to pdf) apps. Even cad drawings for example. PDFs are more cross platform readable & generally word searchable, whereas a picture format is not. Our IT/Admin savvy guys can probably correct me on all this.

@YotaBota - I agree with Peter on this. Adobe went out of their way to make their pdf format a safe cross-platform format.

If they can be exploited, I'm not aware of it.

FWIW, not all photo formats are safe either.

You can easily print from Word into PDF format. From the print menu, select a different printer and choose the "Microsoft PDF" printer. When you press the next print it will ask for a location and file name, and Bob's your Uncle!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just tested uploading a pdf. It works ok, but the member reading the file has to download it to view it. It won't open directly on the forum - at least not on my phone.

The advantage of a JPG photo is that it will show up right in the thread.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Attach pictures "BIG" or in full size - no need to trim them down before uploading as the forum software does that. You can pick thumbnail and then people can click to zoom it big. Your choice. .Doc files are not allowed and yes that is to prevent malware.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just tested uploading a pdf. It works ok, but the member reading the file has to download it to view it. It won't open directly on the forum - at least not on my phone.
maybe a phone thing. I clicked my test post #11 & it immediately opened on PC. I'm pretty sure it worked on my phone as well but maybe a function of OS / reader app etc

The advantage of a JPG photo is that it will show up right in the thread
pdf shows up in body of thread as well. Its a thumbnail vs a full view if thats what you mean, but that makes sense especially for a larger multi page pdf doc

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
maybe a phone thing. I clicked my test post #11 & it immediately opened on PC. I'm pretty sure it worked on my phone as well but maybe a function of OS / reader app etc

pdf shows up in body of thread as well. Its a thumbnail vs a full view if thats what you mean, but that makes sense especially for a larger multi page pdf doc

Yes, that is actually what I meant. It is there sort of like a file icon, but you can't see it till you open it by clicking on it. On a phone, that initiates a download.

What I was trying to say is that I like being able to see the file content or picture just scrolling up or down through the thread.

Sorry to have caused you this extra work. I like to think I have good command of the English language, but obviously not......

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
All good. An icon 'representing a document' seems to be kind of standard across common platforms, PC, phones, email browsers.... It kind of makes sense to me. There could be multiple PDF attachments which leaves you to decide & selectively open. Also, a PDF could just as easily be a high page count document, so having it auto upload/display inside the post probably does not make sense in many cases. Not that we do it but for example a 100 page instruction manual or catalog - don't want that expanding within a post I suspect. Picture file attachments are usually smaller in count within a post. Some forums default show the pics as icons or mini format until you click, maybe that's for portable devices or slower internet speeds, not sure there.