• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Other Fault? Machine or User?

Hacker

Super User
I agree with you. You work with what you have and the skill of the operator will allow you to make the part withing the tolerances required. But, to have a machine that is tight and can maintain tolerances makes things so much easier and faster.:)

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, fault, machine and user. But skill of the operator can often overcome the other deficiencies. I've often been impressed at some of the model engineering projects that people have made using little Atlas 618 lathes or Asian mini lathes and the such.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I used an old FE Reed built in 1880s for years. It was horribly crude. However, it's very crudeness made it a wonderful teacher. I learned more from that old girl trying to obtain good results than my younger model could have taught me in a lifetime!

I glad most see the message provided and the intent of improving and understanding skills. The better we learn to maximized what we can do with our machines and tools the better we become.

Though I must admit being able to have the best right put out of the box makes things easier at the moment (and I try and so this) but it does limit inventiveness as you depend on it to often.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Best to consider this from 180* vantage point. Buying a set of surgical tools and some scrubs does not make me a surgeon. Handing me mallets, chisels, and a block of marble will not produce Michelangelo's David. It’s always the machinist, not the machine.

Best to consider this from 180* vantage point. Buying a set of surgical tools and some scrubs does not make me a surgeon. Handing me mallets, chisels, and a block of marble will not produce Michelangelo's David. It’s always the machinist, not the machine.
Youtube it :D