Farming sucks again this year.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Maybe some of you farmers on the forum should look at growing the Jalapenõ hybrid used in Sriracha Hot Sauce. My favourite condiment is impossible to find because of the California drought. The product (if you can find it) on eBay and Amazon is $63 each now. But most of them are counterfeit and not the original—even though the bottles are. Turns out the guy who invented the wonderful sauce (David Tran) failed to trademark the name—so it's perfectly legal to counterfeit the bottles and fill them with anything.

Seriously though, in Alberta at least, the grow zone has recently changed from 3b to 4a ( https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-...ts-new-designation-for-plant-growth-1.2970507 ). The peppers take 4+ months to grow, but in Alberta we'd need to harvest in late September I'm guessing. If the weather continues to remain hot year after year, I'm not certain we couldn't pull this off even though they normally cultivate in a grow zone 10.

With my shop shut down I'm looking at a grow tent in there for hot peppers. I used to grow hot peppers in our undeveloped basement when we first bought the house. But it's all developed now so the garage (ex-metal shop) looks like a better alternative. With the LED grow lights available now and all the new controller technology, I'm getting the urge to restart a 25 year old hobby again. Keeping the nutrient solution warm in the winter is the one looming problem I'm still thinking through.

If we could all send some collective good thoughts towards California—and specifically Huy Fong Foods in Irwindale—I'd appreciate it, as I'm fairly certain I've developed a medical dependency on this condiment. I used my last few drops on a Chinese dumpling back in June and am starting to panic now. The fact that I recall when I used it, and what I used it on, shows the depth of my addiction. If I can figure out an alternative to the fermentation process that's acceptable, I may just try making the stuff myself. You can buy the seeds online (although sadly they are not open pollinated, so you cannot harvest the seeds year after year).

I just cannot run the risk of a shortage like this again. At $63 bucks a bottle there must be a business case here, even hydroponically.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Count me out @CalgaryPT . I would die just breathing the air blowing over a field of hot peppers.
It's actually one of the mildest hot sauces on the market. And the hybrid jalapenõ they are made from is bred to to be even milder than your average jalapenõ, which is pretty mild to begin with.

But I take your point—hot peppers are not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
It's actually one of the mildest hot sauces on the market. And the hybrid jalepenõ they are made from is bred to to be even milder than your average jalepenõ, which is pretty mild to begin with.

But I take your point—hot peppers are not everyone's cup of tea.
If you’re in southern Texas, and the mamasita behind the taco stand asks if you want mild or spicy.... with a bit of a smile on her face.... go with mild

I like spicy just fine but some of them are pure evil

But homemade southern salsa is heavenly

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I grew up on a beef farm near Goderich, Ont.
Corn was grown to fill a 120‘ x 50‘ bunker silo and a 70‘ high moisture corn silo.
Every year the equipment expenses grew larger while the prices for cattle at the livestock sales reduced.

On Saturday night I walked by a place in our Kitchener neighborhood with the garage door open exposing a hydroponic operation with 6 layers of plants that were exploding from their plant boxes.
I stopped to talk to the owner who was standing on his crispy dry lawn.
He grows salad type leafy plants for local restaurants and cannot keep up with demand.

You can be successful at agriculture as long as your customer is nearby.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I grew up on a beef farm near Goderich, Ont.
Corn was grown to fill a 120‘ x 50‘ bunker silo and a 70‘ high moisture corn silo.
Every year the equipment expenses grew larger while the prices for cattle at the livestock sales reduced.

On Saturday night I walked by a place in our Kitchener neighborhood with the garage door open exposing a hydroponic operation with 6 layers of plants that were exploding from their plant boxes.
I stopped to talk to the owner who was standing on his crispy dry lawn.
He grows salad type leafy plants for local restaurants and cannot keep up with demand.

You can be successful at agriculture as long as your customer is nearby.
My original basement operation had all hot peppers in it. Things grew like weeds hydroponically. The chef across the street bought everyone I would give him. I swear on some days you could see them grow. Hydroponics are so cool.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Maybe some of you farmers on the forum should look at growing the Jalapenõ hybrid used in Sriracha Hot Sauce. My favourite condiment is impossible to find because of the California drought. The product (if you can find it) on eBay and Amazon is $63 each now. But most of them are counterfeit and not the original—even though the bottles are. Turns out the guy who invented the wonderful sauce (David Tran) failed to trademark the name—so it's perfectly legal to counterfeit the bottles and fill them with anything.

Seriously though, in Alberta at least, the grow zone has recently changed from 3b to 4a ( https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-...ts-new-designation-for-plant-growth-1.2970507 ). The peppers take 4+ months to grow, but in Alberta we'd need to harvest in late September I'm guessing. If the weather continues to remain hot year after year, I'm not certain we couldn't pull this off even though they normally cultivate in a grow zone 10.

With my shop shut down I'm looking at a grow tent in there for hot peppers. I used to grow hot peppers in our undeveloped basement when we first bought the house. But it's all developed now so the garage (ex-metal shop) looks like a better alternative. With the LED grow lights available now and all the new controller technology, I'm getting the urge to restart a 25 year old hobby again. Keeping the nutrient solution warm in the winter is the one looming problem I'm still thinking through.

If we could all send some collective good thoughts towards California—and specifically Huy Fong Foods in Irwindale—I'd appreciate it, as I'm fairly certain I've developed a medical dependency on this condiment. I used my last few drops on a Chinese dumpling back in June and am starting to panic now. The fact that I recall when I used it, and what I used it on, shows the depth of my addiction. If I can figure out an alternative to the fermentation process that's acceptable, I may just try making the stuff myself. You can buy the seeds online (although sadly they are not open pollinated, so you cannot harvest the seeds year after year).

I just cannot run the risk of a shortage like this again. At $63 bucks a bottle there must be a business case here, even hydroponically.
I have an unopened bottle in the pantry. I love hot sauce but don't care for this style.
Yours for the shipping if you want.