Farming sucks again this year.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Was talking to my brother who rents some land from me, currently combining the canola. When i asked him how big of a trip i was getting this winter on my crop share he said , "you might get as far as town and have one beer only" Bloody crop is worse than last year and we had more rain this season. Well not much more but enough to keep pastures green till the nasty heat in Aug. Jeeez i love this life, spend a bunch of money to make a little.o_O

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Jeeez i love this life, spend a bunch of money to make a little.o_O

It's gunna be the same story coast to coast this year. Fertilizer, fuel, and pesticides are eating what little is left after mother nature is done with us.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
1BA221B3-2723-416B-86D1-683E212C73D4.jpeg

No politics :D

But I can’t stand people trying to blame inflation on climate change

It makes my head hurt that people don’t understand where food comes from. That’s all I’m gonna say

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Was talking to my brother who rents some land from me, currently combining the canola. When i asked him how big of a trip i was getting this winter on my crop share he said , "you might get as far as town and have one beer only" Bloody crop is worse than last year and we had more rain this season. Well not much more but enough to keep pastures green till the nasty heat in Aug. Jeeez i love this life, spend a bunch of money to make a little.o_O
Was it because of the heat?
Around here things started out very dismal and dry and then in the "11th" hour it started to rain. Crop prospects really did a 180. Insects and heat were pretty extreme but yields generally vary from average to fantastic.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Where are you located in Sask?
My brother in law is near Montmartre and is looking at the best crop in 20 years.
Lentils, canola and Durum.
A month late compared to last year but looking good.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
!00 miles oh sorry 160 km for the enlightened, south of Saskatoon. Crops got a poor start with cold dry spring, spotty emergence then gophers swarmed out of the bare pastures faster than i could load the rifle. Rain was very spoty, one guy got 1.5 inches and 3 miles away nada. Just a week ago we had some storms roll in, i got 1.25" my daughter 4 miles away got 4/10ths. Then the hoppers appeared. Just a poor year in this area, irrigation pipeline ends 5 miles east of my farm. :rolleyes:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I was born in Lethbridge, and spent most of my summers as a teenager working there and around Warner and Magrath (catching rattlesnakes for research believe or not).

Lethbridge, with the exception of a short stint into the high tech realm, is agricultural to its core. If the crops are bad and the whole city hurts.

It infuriates me that people don’t appreciate farmers and ranchers. These people are feeding us, the world through exports, and even saving nations like China during Mao’s disastrous rule by sending lifesaving grain overseas.

I appreciate all you farmers, and admire your courage and persistence in the face of what seems bad luck year after year. I’d love to see a work program where woke snowflakes have to work on a farm and understand where their food comes from.

Oh wait, they tried that with Paris Hilton on “The Simple Life,” and that didn’t work out. Plus she’s not really woke. Plus, she’s……ah never mind.

[/RANT]

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I can’t remember the exact source and phrasing of this quote, and never worked on a farm, but I truly appreciate the work of farmers and fishers and ranchers.

”You can make fun of that slow-talking, slope-shouldered farm boy, but he’s done more work by 7:00 AM Monday than your cubicle-dwelling office worker will do all week.”

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was born in Lethbridge, and spent most of my summers as a teenager working there and around Warner and Magrath (catching rattlesnakes for research believe or not).

Lethbridge, with the exception of a short stint into the high tech realm, is agricultural to its core. If the crops are bad and the whole city hurts.

It infuriates me that people don’t appreciate farmers and ranchers. These people are feeding us, the world through exports, and even saving nations like China during Mao’s disastrous rule by sending lifesaving grain overseas.

I appreciate all you farmers, and admire your courage and persistence in the face of what seems bad luck year after year. I’d love to see a work program where woke snowflakes have to work on a farm and understand where their food comes from.

Oh wait, they tried that with Paris Hilton on “The Simple Life,” and that didn’t work out. Plus she’s not really woke. Plus, she’s……ah never mind.

[/RANT]
Hey Pete, till I was 15 I lived on an acreage that bordered the land by the penitentiary.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That's pretty nice location!
It was. Good place to grow up and appreciate hard work and growing your own food. We had a garden that was likely a 1/3 acre. Probably dug 500 lbs of potatoes every Fall.
Just looked at the old place on Google Maps. The 10 acres was subdivided into four parcels. Dugout is still there, as is the shop my dad built solo but the double wide house was replaced with a big mansion looking place.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I appreciate all those that respectfully use Canada's natural resources to give us all a better life. @whydontu, along with the farmers, fishers and ranchers - I'd include those working in forestry, mining, and fossil fuels.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Was it because of the heat?
Around here things started out very dismal and dry and then in the "11th" hour it started to rain. Crop prospects really did a 180. Insects and heat were pretty extreme but yields generally vary from average to fantastic.
I am taller than my corn...... That's baaadddd..... And sad too.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Little bit of a tip toe...

I've never heard a single normal person be upset with the work farmers do or want anyone to make it harder on them. This is why it boggles my mind that there are people in certain positions that think we should make it more difficult through backasswords regulations. It just doesn't add up...especially when we do things in Canada in the most environmentally/sustainable ways already and have incredibly abundant natural resources that we should be using.

Anyway, not that I'm a farmer (unless a couple cherry tomato plants, and a pot of basil, and pot of dill count) but here in southwestern ontario it feels like it's been a really dry summer...my yard has been crisped pretty much all summer, though I've avoided watering it as it's just throwing away money these days. I imagine the farmers around here have been having a tough go at it, none of the fields look as tall as usual.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
In my area of central Ab. we had the best timed and most rain we've had in 10 yrs, best looking cereal crop in that time frame....it was beautiful....until one of those "big white combines" hit a month ago and left at least 40% damage so it will be another "ho-hum" harvest.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Next year, that is a saying that gets us through. Cow/calf prices look good so far though.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Next year, that is a saying that gets us through. Cow/calf prices look good so far though.
They better "continue" to look good, forcast hay prices for this fall locally is $100-150 for 1000 lb bale . I know a cow-calf operator ( I buy our beef from him farm-direct) that lives 25 miles east of me that has 350 pairs and his hay crop was 10% of normal....he'll be selling off 1/2 his herd (his dad and he spent 45 yrs building the heard) just to buy feed for the 1/2 he keeps.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya we may be buying hay again this year, the green feed oat crop wasn't much better than last year. Haven't looked at feed prices yet, have straw to bale and hay sloughs to cut and bale.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Reminds me of the old saying: To make a small fortune in farming, start with a large one.
Yup unfortunately having the small fortune to begin with is what kept me from being able to farm in the first place. :(. So I did the next best thing.....I got to tell others how to farm (and got paid to do it)!;)

Last edited: