• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Fabrication DIY videos?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Mine came with the drag tip I also have the machine torch for it that has the normal type On it.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am slowly chipping away at my bumper. I am lucky enough to be able to borrow a really good plasma cutter so I am all set now. Today tacked some ends on. I feel I will trim the ends off and then finish welding it.

Attachments

• 20201111_171219.jpg
    20201111_171219.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 19

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Wow, you're making a fancy bumper. Right on.

What's the machine on the left in the above image?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
That’s part of it for sure. It fits a lot of places a large grinder won’t. It’s also adjustable for speed, which is nice. The flap disc does a very good job smoothing down welds without leaving grinder marks, if that makes sense

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
My bumper is nearly finished. All I have left to do is fabricate the mounting brackets. This project took longer than I expected it to. It weighs about 78Lbs so it will need more mounting points than the stock bumper. Overall it was pretty fun. Lots of cutting and welding.

Attachments

• 20201118_063112.jpg
    20201118_063112.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 15

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Sounds about right, the factory bumper I took off my little truck was probably 30 pounds or so, the one I put in weighs 95 pounds or so.

Those pockets for lights or steps?

Looking good!

Everett

Super User
Very nice job on this one, I used to work at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer and we did lots of accessorizing. Yours looks more pro than some of the commercial units we used!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I am still working on this. I definitely want to upgrade both my grinders. One is Mastercraft and the other is Power fist. They work ok but the vibration is annoying. I saw home depot has this

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-15-amp-7-inch-9-inch-large-angle-grinder/1000730761
Any thoughts?
That's a big grinder. I think I have 6 grinders ranging from 3 to 7 inch, plus smaller air grinders. 7" is too big for me and I rarely (once every two years) use it. They are just too heavy unless you are building bridges, etc. My 2 cents worth Alex.... :)

I'll take a high end, cord-powdered DeWalt. Milwaulkee, Makita, Bosche, 4.5" any day.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a large bunch of 4" and 5" grinders and 3 (working) 6" grinders.

On the 6" side, The Hitachi is built like a tank, but it is too heavy for longer use - but it is so heavy it doesn't vibrate much at all.

The best heavy duty grinder I've used (And I've used Mikita, Dewalt, Hitachi and Porter Cable) is hands down the Dewalt 831. It is powerful enough to do really heavy grinding, and it is light enough to use for hours.

-- My (now dead) Mikita is from the 80s but it is heavy and wore out the brushes too fast. My Porter Cable is from the 60s, and works great but I don't think they make good products any more (they used to be among the best)

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Very nice job on this one, I used to work at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer and we did lots of accessorizing. Yours looks more pro than some of the commercial units we used!
Thanks. I don't like how all the aftermarket bumpers for the JL are built to accommodate 37" tires this bumper fits around the stock spare tire like the oem plastic bumper does. I think it looks better if I am only running stock tires on my 2020

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
That's a big grinder. I think I have 6 grinders ranging from 3 to 7 inch, plus smaller air grinders. 7" is too big for me and I rarely (once every two years) use it. They are just too heavy unless you are building bridges, etc. My 2 cents worth Alex.... :)

I'll take a high end, cord-powdered DeWalt. Milwaulkee, Makita, Bosche, 4.5" any day.
I did this whole job with my power fist 7" grinder. I prefer it because it removes material a little faster than a 4.5"