• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Everlast all in one

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I was really thinking about this - it's interesting @StevSmar. When you remove incandescent bulbs you have to replace the lost heat they provided - I think the answer is not what one would initially think.
I also think about how gas heating is not carbon neutral. Manitoba Hydro is essentially a carbon neutral form of energy so does that make electricity a better choice than gas to heat with in Manitoba even though it’s (currently…) more expensive?

To muddy the water even more (unintended pun, but I’ll take it…) the electricity I use in winter could potentially be used to offset non-carbon neutral energy sources in the U.S., however if they’re not buying and the hydro dams are spilling water, then it’s being wasted, so I may as well use it…

One thing is certain, in summer use LED bulbs (or go to bed before the sun goes down). In winter it’s a much more difficult question…

I hate to say electricity is not the answer as the infra structure is not in place to supply it. Either in producing or transport. Water generated electricity is no environmentally friendly because dams have a life span due mainly to silting. Besides that they destroy large acreages of land for a long period.

Biggest thing to reduce world wide carbon foot print is small scale localized manufacturing, while produces slightly more carbon it greatly offsets transport carbon in moving raw materials to finished goods.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was going to say similar things. But I fear we would quickly degenerate into a very political discussion.

Suffice to say that making concrete for dams is extremely energy intensive. So is electric infrastructure.

We know what we know about what is green and what is not from advocates. They are often self serving.

In my mind, the only fair way to compare any technology is with a life cycle analysis - cradle to grave - all in. From mining to refining to manufacturing to transportation to usage to efficiency to infrastructure to recycling to disposal and every other nuance in between. On this basis, many otherwise attractive options are not so attractive after all. And even then, each situation is different - nothing is universal. We all like to "say they are better". But are they really? Do we really want to make a difference or do we just want to say that we do?

All this is just to say that it's all VERY complicated and VERY political.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I was going to say similar things. But I fear we would quickly degenerate into a very political discussion.

Suffice to say that making concrete for dams is extremely energy intensive. So is electric infrastructure.

We know what we know about what is green and what is not from advocates. They are often self serving.

In my mind, the only fair way to compare any technology is with a life cycle analysis - cradle to grave - all in. From mining to refining to manufacturing to transportation to usage to efficiency to infrastructure to recycling to disposal and every other nuance in between. On this basis, many otherwise attractive options are not so attractive after all. And even then, each situation is different - nothing is universal. We all like to "say they are better". But are they really? Do we really want to make a difference or do we just want to say that we do?

All this is just to say that it's all VERY complicated and VERY political.
Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure there was a study/video done on the Prius. All of the parts being manufactured and shipped plus the mining for materials far outweighed the potential fuel savings. Plus there was no clear plan to recycle the battery bank.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure there was a study/video done on the Prius. All of the parts being manufactured and shipped plus the mining for materials far outweighed the potential fuel savings. Plus there was no clear plan to recycle the battery bank.

My biggest complaint is the government intervention in the marketplace. I understand incentives to help with a low volume test program. But we should not be doing that with high volume production to bias the market to do things that would not make sense otherwise.

And if they are going to do it, I'd rather see it right on my tax return where it belongs. Ie a $2000 tax to help my next door neighbour afford his Tesla. I don't like subsidies period but if they are gunna do it I want it out in the open rather than hidden away in a shell game.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I ran a few rods on the new welder. Pretty smooth arc. Not that I have a lot of diversity in my experience, but it is about the smoothest I have used for stick. .....
How have you made out with your Everlast PowerTIG 200DV welder, are you still happy with it?

I’d love to get a better welder, though I should really exhaust the capabilities of my AC stick welder first.

I am loving it. I have AC and DC tigged and stick welded with it. All seems good. The features are nice. I don't think my welds are better but it is nice to use nice equipment. So in a nutshell, no complaints so far.
Once you figure out your TIG settings and learn how to use the pedal, smiles abound!