• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

ever had one of those nights?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
We used to think we were drinking good coffee by having a French press and a grinder or using a Breville.
Then we went to Spain for a month and you can get better coffee at a roadside truck stop than we ever had at home.
Everything worthwhile starts with espresso, apparently.
We bought a Vario burr grinder, a Rocket Evolucione espresso machine and switched to using RO water when we gat back home.
Night and day difference.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You know……..it’s really weird being the same age as old people.
Says Art

It's even weirder being older than old people.....

I got told to start acting my age....... How the frick am I supposed to how to act, I have never been this old before......:oops:

Maturing and acting your age only applies to women. Men are just bigger little boys.

I know that borders on sexual discrimination, but suck it up anyway guys and own it!

Downwindtracker2

I'll let you in a one of the secrets of life, women no matter their age, are still little girls at heart.

There was a spell on doctor's orders, no caffine for me . During this time I was able to adjust the windage on my iron sighted P-14 303 with out using a rest. I say this while I'm on my second cup of the morning.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'll let you in a one of the secrets of life, women no matter their age, are still little girls at heart.

What is your point? That's no secret at all. Little girls are mature at 3. A woman can be a little girl and still be mature. I'm 77 and according to my wife, there is nothing mature about me at all.

If you want to argue that, take it it up with an expert on the subject. Said experts populate half the globe. The next time you get called immature and childish by a women of any age you will be listening to one.

Stellrammer

Checking...Yes! I have had that one. :)
I’ve pretty much settled on Smithwicks these days, can’t get a reliably good Newcastle, Bass, forget about it. For the few I do have anymore I don’t bother refrigerating it either, 65 degrees from the root cellar.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Now, here's some galaxy brain thinking: Espresso machine as a hobby machining project.
Just think about it! Plumbing, boilers, pumps, those nifty latching grounds holders, some sheet work! Tempting!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Now, here's some galaxy brain thinking: Espresso machine as a hobby machining project.
Just think about it! Plumbing, boilers, pumps, those nifty latching grounds holders, some sheet work! Tempting!
Or the old fashioned way...

Stellrammer

The espresso from those is not nice. I'm being polite too
For my own personal taste, I would concur. I have 3 or 4 of those, they just don’t make a good espresso, for a regular stronger than normal coffee okay but hard to get a balanced flavor. The grind has to be too coarse to get a good extraction, the solubility is way down and a weakened sour kind of brew usually results.
In my waning years of having a decent palette I’m going with the best taste I can muster, in food and drink.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
For my own personal taste, I would concur. I have 3 or 4 of those, they just don’t make a good espresso, for a regular stronger than normal coffee okay but hard to get a balanced flavor. The grind has to be too coarse to get a good extraction, the solubility is way down and a weakened sour kind of brew usually results.
In my waning years of having a decent palette I’m going with the best taste I can muster, in food and drink.

I've always made it my practice not to imbibe heavy in drink, but what I did drink I went for the highest quality. Whether is is scotch or coffee, do not go cheap. Ditto tobacco, but I can't advocate for tobacco