• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Evaporust turning steel black

Tips/Techniques

KeeponDragon

Super User
One of the blessings of living in the rust belt is knowing you live here. So my dies will never rust. I protect them as though my life depended in it.
Is Ontario considered the rust belt just due to the Lakes n the Bay ? Or is it from the untold levels of ice melting compound that rot your folks vehicles out from under you?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Is Ontario considered the rust belt just due to the Lakes n the Bay ? Or is it from the untold levels of ice melting compound that rot your folks vehicles out from under you?

It's the high humidity combined with high temperatures combined with high road salt that gets into/onto everything.

For things like reloading dies, it's mostly high temperatures and high humidity causing heavy condensation. If you don't dehumidify, cooler indoor temperatures will supersaturate the air so moisture condenses on anything and everything but especially metal.

Some folks around here think the metal actually sweats. It certainly looks like it. But it's an illusion.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Is that the process shown every now n then when a welder lays down a nice bead of dimes, they rub some liquid on it, and the discolouring wipes off?

I've used household cleaning vinegar (slightly higher acidic level) to remove mill scale and rust from material before working it. It's amazing how well it works. But like mentioned by evaporust, rinse a dry afterwards. I got the idea from that Mike fella from Scotland, makes the Big Giant Swords on youtube...
Yup, Antox pickling paste.A delightful mix of hydroflouric and nitric acid. Has the unique property of drilling through your skin and dissolving the bones underneath. Brush on to a weld while the weld is still warm, wait a minute or so, wash off, weld bluing is gone. Leave it on too long and your nice polished stainless steel restaurant countertop is now like swiss cheese.

MikeANW

It's the high humidity combined with high temperatures combined with high road salt that gets into/onto everything.

For things like reloading dies, it's mostly high temperatures and high humidity causing heavy condensation. If you don't dehumidify, cooler indoor temperatures will supersaturate the air so moisture condenses on anything and everything but especially metal.

Some folks around here think the metal actually sweats. It certainly looks like it. But it's an illusion.
this assumes of course that you consider 98% humidity to be high..........................................

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Out here in SK. we say "it's a dry cold" :) Very few problems with rust from humidity here.
In Calgary I never had any humidity rust issues but out here in eastern sk (mb border) it is an issue. Fluid film is your friend here. My dad (retired industrial mech at the potash mine) said fluid film was the go-to product underground which is impressive given it is mostly salt

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My dad (retired industrial mech at the potash mine) said fluid film was the go-to product underground which is impressive given it is mostly salt

I did an extensive 1 year comparison of various products on my plow blades. I had planned a thread on it soon.

Spoiler - The bottom line is that only two products provided one full year of protection. One was WD-40 Corrosion Inhibitor and the other was Fluid Film. But Fluid Film was MUCH less expensive and therefore it gets the nod.

MikeANW

That’s good to know. Most of my gear sits in an environment with little climate control. Not ideal but it’s what I have for now. I’ve used a few oil sprays to help and while I’ve seen fluid film I’ve never tried it. Off to the store…………