• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Estevan Model Engineering Show

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kermit doesn't look to greasy after the flight but you can see the castor slime on wing & landing gear when he lands.
The rotary blip-blip ignition throttle is just crazy.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Harder to tell on the Nieuport from a distance other than startup & shut down. Maybe they had emission controls on that one LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@PeterT - Why Castor Oil? Why not a mix that would be burned instead?

Not developed yet?

I watched the cad assembly video you provided. Very cool! And also very sophisticated for the time. Watching the video answered a million questions about how it all works too.

Just a few questions left. How did they do the ignition and particularly the timing? How was fuel delivered and metered? How did the throttle system work? And as above, why Castor Oil?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I actually know very little about rotary engines. I have some aviation engine books but information on why & how they did things is actually quite sparse. They are not well documented & vary between models & manufacturers. I have LK Blackmore's (building the the quarter scale working replica) Bentley BR2. It has some FS pics & sketches interspersed but more for visual reference, again quite brief. Apparently the drawings have some boo-boos & omissions, I've never felt brave enough to build it. It has knackered better model engineers than me.

There is some documentation out there above the typical forum chit chat, but I suspect the real dope is locked away in museums & the craniums of those who maintain them.

There is a Clerget in Calgary which I have from authority was discovered brand new in a barn amongst the chicken dung. Apparently some found their way to farms as war surplus. Thankfully it never saw that service. That engine was one of the critical bits that made the Sopwith Triplane project proceed back in the 70's. I have some familiarity with that airframe, did some volunteer construction work in my teens. Its a work of art faithfully reproduced to factory drawings. But it will never fly. Maybe better that way.