• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Equipment mover - Halton Hamilton area

Len75

New member here.

Recognizing my limitations, I was wondering if anyone had positive recommendations for equipment movers in the area between Toronto and Hamilton for relocating a Bridgeport mill and a 13x40 lathe?

Len

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Hi, no one specific to recommend, start calling machinery movers, find out who'd be interested, and get a couple of quotes. I'd have the protective head gear on, a couple of guys, flat bed and a tow motor gets expensive quickly. Last time I moved something really large, I used some guys out of Welland who were decent enough, but you are paying for travel before and after so want to get someone somewhere along the route or at either end. It is nice reducing a machinery move to point and sayign "put it there" but its expensive

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
What another ‘Len’ ?
This is going to get confusing.

Are you looking to move the mill and lathe for as little as possible or . . .
do you have some tight corners to get around with challenging lifts . . .
after you transport the units 100 miles ?

Becker Brothers in Kitchener will move anything.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Should have mentioned that Becker Bros is easier found as . . .
BBT (Becker Bros Transport)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Hi, no one specific to recommend, start calling machinery movers, find out who'd be interested, and get a couple of quotes. I'd have the protective head gear on, a couple of guys, flat bed and a tow motor gets expensive quickly. Last time I moved something really large, I used some guys out of Welland who were decent enough, but you are paying for travel before and after so want to get someone somewhere along the route or at either end. It is nice reducing a machinery move to point and sayign "put it there" but its expensive
I just did one of those moves. What a gong show. The owner hired an installer and a rigging company, separately, who sub contracted out the trucking. NOBODY had any idea what anyone else was doing

@Len75 are you looking for riggers to load and move the machines, or just a truck to transport them?

Len75

Thanks for everyone's response.

I have been following some auctions for used, surplus equipment. There is usually a requirement for professional movers (insurance, equipment, etc) to handle the move.

Private sales seem to always require moving some of the owners other equipment or have complicated access.

All these things are beyond my physical capability and, therefore, require the use of my financial capability.

At my end, there is no problem placing the machinery in my building other than a gravel driveway and an 7' high door opening.

I was looking for a firm was used to dealing with hobby machinists, and able to give a budget range for moving so that I can factor that into any bidding or offer to purchase.

Len

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Should have mentioned that Becker Bros is easier found as . . .
BBT (Becker Bros Transport)

Have used them for towing a wrecked vehicle once and for taking the shell of a car that I parted out...both times have been outstanding to work with. Would also recommend them from a general standpoint, they move equipment too (like excavators and such) though I don't know how much they do machinery?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Thanks for everyone's response.

I have been following some auctions for used, surplus equipment. There is usually a requirement for professional movers (insurance, equipment, etc) to handle the move.

Private sales seem to always require moving some of the owners other equipment or have complicated access.

All these things are beyond my physical capability and, therefore, require the use of my financial capability.

At my end, there is no problem placing the machinery in my building other than a gravel driveway and an 7' high door opening.

I was looking for a firm was used to dealing with hobby machinists, and able to give a budget range for moving so that I can factor that into any bidding or offer to purchase.

Len
Redmond & associates in Mississauga

Wingenback in Milton

Evans industrial in Guelph

No affiliation to any of them, just crews I’ve worked with, in your area

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I really wish I could help out @Len75 - I had 2 bad experiences with paid help, so I learned to do it myself. Calgary to Hamilton is a wee bit too far!