• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Entire Shop for sale Thousands in value $15,000

You'd be surprised to know that radial arm saws are in use in metal shops,
That's interesting. I suppose the good news for metal shops - assuming they use the 'consumer grade' radial arm saws from the 50s-70s - is that radial-arm saws are available for free or little money online - I see them often on usedvictoria.

He seems to have so little in the list and shop, that there will be no interest. Rightly so. He has very little of value in that shop. The wood lathe is home made, and there are no photos of the metal lathe or, as Tom says other items of value.
The wood lathe I saw is a vintage Beaver from the Collander foundry in Ontario. Maybe worth $200 to teh right buyer. They are desireable as use-able lathes and collectible for their 'art deco' style castings. I have a 14" bandsaw in the woodshop of the same 50's vintage.

14" Delta bandsaw worth ~$400-500. Craftsman radial Arm worth $50-100. Rest seems to be low grade equipment (PA grinders, mastercraft tools, etc). Nothing of any note other than the compressor which might fetch a low few hundred. Unless some of the drawers hold some lee-valley or other higher end carving, turning, or woodworking planes/chisels/etc its maybe worth $1000 to take the whole thing off their hands. Maybe.

I have a Sears Craftsman that performs better than the Delta because it has Cut Control. Basically a trigger on the handle that lets the saw move and it retracts automatically, really high commercial saws had it. This alone ensures cut speed in Aluminium. :)

maybe worth $1000 to take the whole thing off their hands. Maybe.
Even though I'm being curmudgeonly, I honestly thought there was about 2000$ worth in what I saw. If *very* lucky there might have been 1000$ worth of extra value in stuff hidden from view. @calgaryguy - you seem harder than me!!

Without a decent inventory it's really hard to say. And then it's a supply demand thing too right? Say you need a drill press. A trip to KMS tools, Busy Bee (If you have one locally) etc. and you find it's $800 for the size you want. So is that used one with only one mark on the table but otherwise in good shape worth $200 or $800?
If you are willing to wait until one shows up on used (insert city name here) and you can travel to said city then anything above $200 is too much.
Although Grizzly no longer sells my version or the larger one with the horizontal mill feature, a friend does have that one and back then it was $3995 from House Of Tools. Closest thing to that now is this one at
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-9-x-39-2-hp-horizontal-vertical-mill-with-power-feed/g0757 for $7695US.
Since mine now has a DRO and full CNC, and I paid $3495 Cdn for it new with only hobby wear and tear does it make mine worth less than the new price of one or the same?

Reading that ad took a toll on me.

Sad reality is that it will all go to the dump. Seller will get frustrated that "nobody wants to buy stuff" and has no idea they've priced themselves out of the market by an order of magnitude.

Hopefully, they will figure it out prior to ^^^

Even though I'm being curmudgeonly, I honestly thought there was about 2000$ worth in what I saw. If *very* lucky there might have been 1000$ worth of extra value in stuff hidden from view. @calgaryguy - you seem harder than me!!
Like I said if there was some skookum kit hiding in the drawers, then maybe more. But to take it all, without itemizing it all and investigating I'd throw out a 1-2k figure.

Lets say theres a full and complete metric+imp set of craftsman wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and its not all just thrown in drawers so you can verify its all there - thats gotta be worth low few hundred bucks, etc.

When the old fella beside me passed away his kids didnt think he had much in his shop. Cheaper woodworking machines, etc. What he did have however was in his Lee-Valley and Lie-Nielsen hand carving, sharpening, wood planes, chisels, etc all stashed nicely in their own rolling cabinets. I was sure to tell the kids to be certain they got good value for said higher end kit and even itemized a spreadsheet for them with retail prices and a suggested used Calgary market price. They ended up getting more for the higher end hand stuff than then did for the Taiwanese no-name brand woodworking machines.

We've touched on this before in other threads, but having a decent inventory list/spreadsheet of your shop gear, and what you think its local market value might be can be very useful for your fam and friends if you ever suddenly kick the bucket. I keep such a list with all my bigger woodworking kit listed (and my lathe until i sold it), serial numbers, and approx market value derived from kijiji/facebook/ebay for my wife.

Hopefully, they will figure it out prior to ^^^
Hopefully, but it doesn't always work out that way. I know from a few personal situations that one persons treasures, are simply someone else's trash. No value whatsoever. Seeing piles of high value hardwoods simply being burned for firewood because that is the value they now have to the "new owners", and the stack is in the way.....Tools hauled out of storage and scrapped or left to rust outdoors because you need the space to store your lawnmowers. Just a few from a long list that still burns.....

Enjoy your shops, and tools while you're here gentleman. There's no guarantee the next generation will give a shit about any of it, and will more than likely send it all to auction for a few bucks and a night out (if you're lucky). The scrap yard if you're not.

Like I said if there was some skookum kit hiding in the drawers, then maybe more. But to take it all, without itemizing it all and investigating I'd throw out a 1-2k figure.

Lets say theres a full and complete metric+imp set of craftsman wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and its not all just thrown in drawers so you can verify its all there - thats gotta be worth low few hundred bucks, etc.

When the old fella beside me passed away his kids didnt think he had much in his shop. Cheaper woodworking machines, etc. What he did have however was in his Lee-Valley and Lie-Nielsen hand carving, sharpening, wood planes, chisels, etc all stashed nicely in their own rolling cabinets. I was sure to tell the kids to be certain they got good value for said higher end kit and even itemized a spreadsheet for them with retail prices and a suggested used Calgary market price. They ended up getting more for the higher end hand stuff than then did for the Taiwanese no-name brand woodworking machines.

We've touched on this before in other threads, but having a decent inventory list/spreadsheet of your shop gear, and what you think its local market value might be can be very useful for your fam and friends if you ever suddenly kick the bucket. I keep such a list with all my bigger woodworking kit listed (and my lathe until i sold it), serial numbers, and approx market value derived from kijiji/facebook/ebay for my wife.
I’ve wondered how to do that for my toolbox for awhile now. It’s a daunting task, but I guess maybe pick one drawer a weekend and whittle away at it. Also been pondering trying to get it insured, at least fire and theft. But without a dollar amount/itemized list, I don’t think I’d be able to get insurance.

The pain in the keister part is the oddball sockets or whatever that aren’t part of a set, that’s what’s going to take the time, I think

We've touched on this before in other threads, but having a decent inventory list/spreadsheet of your shop gear, and what you think its local market value might be can be very useful for your fam and friends if you ever suddenly kick the bucket.
I'm an obsessive archivist. My best friend is someone who can give me a reason to start up a new spreadsheet. I have spreadsheets of tools & equipment for insurance purposes, descriptions, what I paid & current market value. Also trips/repairs/maintenance on the Hawg. And what beers I've had. And cellered beer. And...

I'm an obsessive archivist. My best friend is someone who can give me a reason to start up a new spreadsheet. I have spreadsheets of tools & equipment for insurance purposes, descriptions, what I paid & current market value. Also trips/repairs/maintenance on the Hawg. And what beers I've had. And cellered beer. And...
OK I'm not that bad. My two main purposes for making an inventory of my shop assets were a) protect my wife from the stress/worry, and b) for insurance if we ever had a major loss (fire, etc)

Everyone of us should have some sort of inventory of our tools, and it is easy to do. Dust off your old digital camera, or pull out your phone and start clicking away. First take two or three photos of each of the larger tools, including nameplate info that has model and serial number. Then pull open every drawer and click away. Do the same with all cabinets and shelves. Next take a photo of every work surface. Then stand back and take photos along the walls, floors, and ceilings. Once done, everything is documented. I have done mine 3x in the past 12 years. Takes perhaps 30 minutes each time. The 2020 update comprised about 150 photos.
I will often refer to this digital inventory for all sorts of reasons. Yesterday i was goggling replacement parts for a power tool, - no need to run out to the shop and look at specs - all the information that i needed to order parts was right with me on my computer.

Everyone of us should have some sort of inventory of our tools, and it is easy to do. Dust off your old digital camera, or pull out your phone and start clicking away. First take two or three photos of each of the larger tools, including nameplate info that has model and serial number. Then pull open every drawer and click away. Do the same with all cabinets and shelves. Next take a photo of every work surface. Then stand back and take photos along the walls, floors, and ceilings. Once done, everything is documented. I have done mine 3x in the past 12 years. Takes perhaps 30 minutes each time. The 2020 update comprised about 150 photos.
I will often refer to this digital inventory for all sorts of reasons. Yesterday i was goggling replacement parts for a power tool, - no need to run out to the shop and look at specs - all the information that i needed to order parts was right with me on my computer.
Good idea!

OK, so I recall that you said your member name was Just a Dumb Biker, but I think Just another Data Base might be just as good..... ;)
LOL. I've spent a ton of time getting them filled out, but now that they're done they're a handy reference & just need minor updates here & there..

So...uh, if someone was wanting to inventory a tool box and contents, how would you do it? Excel?

So...uh, if someone was wanting to inventory a tool box and contents, how would you do it? Excel?
I wouldnt inventory an entire toolbox. I'd sumamrize lots of it: "Full set of metric and imp wrenches 6-24mm and 1/4-1 1/2" same for sockets, etc etc

I think the important part to 'inventory' is the valuable items. Your starrett, mitutoyo, etc indicators, mics, levels, etc.

My bigger pieces of woodworking machinery are all detailed as well; "Delta Unisaw with Biesmeyer Fence, circa 1985, 3hp 1ph" and lists a serial number. I had my Sm 9" Utilathe listed like this until i sold it: "Standard Modern 9" utilathe circa 1975, c/w AXA QCTP and XX toolholders and 3/4hp new baldor motor". I take pics of my tool drawers as a 'summary' of their contents and include them in the docs as well as pics of the larger equipment.

Back