Engraving endmill

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m looking for a endmill for a plaque for my Brother ( brass ) does anyone know where I can find them in Calgary? I’ve tried a 90* spot drill although it works it’s not as deep as I would like.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ve wondered about that type of cutter before and will eventually get one to try out. I’ve just ordered a 60* Carbide cutter off Amazon and it will be here on the 18 TH.
FB8C9E14-17FF-40C4-A9C2-3D7D20F60F13.jpeg Thanks for the offer!

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom O : what the material you use it in/speed feed etc. I snapped the tip off in 4140 taking too deep a cut and probably not enough speed for the feed - I think it was the same one .. Still worked after though, just a dirt cut

kylemp

I've been doing a bit of engraving (picture attached) in stainless and brass.
IMG_20211023_134038813.jpg

Attached is a picture of the bits I used, IMG_20211017_193028660.jpg
These are 30degree with a 0.4mm flat on the bottom and do ok. This is on a router running at like 16k rpm and a D.O.C of I think 0.1mm, then a 2nd pass at 0.175mm.

I ordered them from China, depending on what you're doing I could probably help you out. You won't be able to reasonably run these on something like a Bridgeport, you'll need to be at least in the 10k or greater range.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Thanks for the offer I’ll see after I try the cutters out I’m hoping they will be okay it will be on brass so not that hard of a metal.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
DGI can order them for you. They don't stock them. Speeds and feeds vary. I use them on heavy machines with 6k rpm spindles and smaller machines with 16k rpm spindles. The tool lasts a long time at around 10k rpm and 10 IPM. It will last about half as long at 6k rpm doing the same feed rate. Keep the plunge really low around 2 inches a minute

Tom O

Ultra Member
I got the endmill today and was wondering what you guys use for making it more visible colour wise I asked at Kens Gems and he said felt pen? Any thoughts?

kylemp

I got the endmill today and was wondering what you guys use for making it more visible colour wise I asked at Kens Gems and he said felt pen? Any thoughts?
Grab some nailpolish, infill and give it a bit of time to cure.. Ideally hours. I wouldn't suggest using acetone to wipe off the excess as it tends to get into the inlay and mess it up, lacquer thinner or even isopropyl seems to cut it much slower, use a lint free cloth in case it does soften the inlay and it won't leave fuzz in there.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I snapped the tip on a dumb move and have ordered another one. We always went to my brothers on Wednesday to watch Survivor that gave him something to look forward to this time Jan told me my niece has a friend that does engraving and will make it I’ll still make one even if it’s for the garage wall.
Bob and Jan raised over 30 foster kids like their own adopting 2, at Xmas and Holidays they went all in. Bob was also President of Applewood for a number of years receiving 2 medals for Community service from the Governor General.