• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop Engine Lift Cylinder

Shop

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I went to move a machine yesterday and my engine lift failed me. The hydraulic cylinder seems to have bit the bullet for the second time. So I went shopping just now for a replacement and spotted this.

Anyone ever use one of these?

I have a 30ton air assist and don't really like it. Very noisy and very air hungry. My compressor can't keep up. Would this be the Same?

Any other ideas?

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’ve had good luck with Vevor but doggggboy’s PA find looks more interesting. I’d go with the $99 version since it’s seldomly used and a compressor not always close by.
I have a 10 ton PA port-a-power kit. Regular price about $300 -but i got mine on sale a couple of years ago for $200 ( it mostly lives in my home made shop press)
It’s like the 4ton version below (for some reason i couldn’t find a link for the 10 ton)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yea - i get it.
A proper industrial port-a-power is several x the price but you get reliability and additional safety.
Back in my construction days i would ONLY buy industrial strength stuff. As a retired guy PA is just OK. I guess ‘good enough’ would be a better way to look at it.
If it breaks there is not much urgency and i ALWAYS stay clear. WAY CLEAR.

Jswain

Joe
The trouble with PA is that thats what my old ones were. They both crapped out WAAAY too soon. The first one should have lasted another 20 years. I don't really want to go PA again.
I bought a 12t bottle jack from PA 2 years ago for my shop press(also PA), for the last year it's been a leaking mess.

Original had a failed lip seal after a few years of very little use, I don't blame you for wanting to buy one from somewhere else lol

Problem is the probably come from the same place, so best/easiest warranty might be something to think about.

Apparently it's only 1 year on bottle jacks and 2 years they might pro rate or help you find parts, after 2 years no support. 2 years for a bottle jack is a sh*t lifespan

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have had good luck with Crappy Tire bottle jack's. Some are 60 years old and still going strong. Every PA jack I have has had problems. I finally upgraded my PA 30 ton prsss with a Crappy Tire jack and its still going.

Problem is the probably come from the same place, so best/easiest warranty might be something to think about.

Sad, but prolly true..... That might apply to Vevor too.....

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately i think PA, Vevor, and our US friend’s Harbour Freight are identical triplets.
IMO Canadian Tire (Can’T) is a step up on that trio and Home Hardware is a (small) step up on Can’T

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm batting .500 on vevor stuff right now. With the final verdict still out on my indexing head kit. If this were baseball, that'd be a hall of fame career, but im ready to send them down to the minors. I'd view the hydraulic cylinder as a coin flip, where you'd only lose the time involved, as they're refund your money if it's junk.

Interesting that you've all had bad results from pa jacks. I have a replacement princess auto jack on my carolina hoist, and it's been sitting out, somewhat in the elements of the barn for years and still doing fine after about a decade. Personally I would go that route, then chance a vevor transaction. I'll reserve those for other interesting things not offered anywhere else, and consider them a gamble of time from the get go. Offshore stuff is all a gamble anyway, no matter the retailer. I feel better about a brick and mortor though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So if I was willing to spend some money, who makes a swap fit engine hoist jack that has a reputation for quality?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I'm not sure but Vevor may be one of those sellers that simply replaces your non-functional items rather than asking to have it returned.
If it dies, they'll send a new one, maybe.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've had a PA ram on my engine lift for 15 years, still works fine , no leaks.

My PA lift is only about 7 or 8 years old. The first cylinder lasted 3+ years, so the new one is right on schedule. I had an old home made one before that worked better but was only half the capacity. I wish I still had it. I might need to break out the overhead crane or clear out enough stuff to get the loader tractor in there

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So if I was willing to spend some money, who makes a swap fit engine hoist jack that has a reputation for quality?
Why not rebuild it yourself?

Take the whole thing apart, replace all the seals with quality stuff. You could probably even upgrade the seals while you are at it. Pretty sure they use standard (metric?) components.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Why not rebuild it yourself?

Take the whole thing apart, replace all the seals with quality stuff. You could probably even upgrade the seals while you are at it. Pretty sure they use standard (metric?) components.

I could. I've done such things before.

I guess it's a question of value. My sense is that after rebuilding a cheap PA cylinder I will just end up with a cheap rebuilt PA cylinder. Now if it were a John Deere or Case IH or Kubota cylinder, it would be worth it.

I decided to move the machine with my loader tractor so I have some time. I might do what you suggest yet. Nothing to lose by taking it apart anyway. If all else fails, there is some nice stock in one of those cylinders.