Endmills with threaded shanks

Grant T

I recently picked up quite a bit of tooling, nice Kennedy tool box, some measuring tools Machinery's Handbook 28th edition etc.
I got his information from this forum on member spotted deals, thanks for that. That was from a retired toolmaker in West Kelowna B.C. He still has some tooling etc. for sale if anyone is interested.
Most of the endmills, there are a lot of them different sizes. They have threaded shanks, which I believe were popular in the UK and Europe, but not so much here.
My Question: Has anyone used them with a R8 collet with success. I have a RF45 Milling machine so plenty of power to use 3/4 size.
The gentleman said the shanks could be turned down on the lathe with carbide tooling.
Has anyone had any experience with these endmills.?
Thanks
Grant Topham Peachland

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I recently picked up quite a bit of tooling, nice Kennedy tool box, some measuring tools Machinery's Handbook 28th edition etc.
I got his information from this forum on member spotted deals, thanks for that. That was from a retired toolmaker in West Kelowna B.C. He still has some tooling etc. for sale if anyone is interested.
Most of the endmills, there are a lot of them different sizes. They have threaded shanks, which I believe were popular in the UK and Europe, but not so much here.
My Question: Has anyone used them with a R8 collet with success. I have a RF45 Milling machine so plenty of power to use 3/4 size.
The gentleman said the shanks could be turned down on the lathe with carbide tooling.
Has anyone had any experience with these endmills.?
Thanks
Grant Topham Peachland
Maybe this would work for you.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have used a lot of clarkson autolock cutters over the years in regular r8 collets. Mostly 3/8, and 1/2 (boss must have got a great deal on a big lot of them at some point). If you have a good deep 3/4" r8 that will grip the shank, and not the threaded portion you will be fine. I have some import r8 collets, that are not bored as deep as some hardinge ones I have, so beware. I wouldn't hold them on the threaded portion at all. If your collets won't take them deep enough, just cut the threaded portion off with an angle grinder. It's useless without an autolock holder/collet system anyway.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
This is the Osborne/Clarkson end mill holder mounted on an R8 shank.

The collets have a locking tab to prevent rotation inside the chuck. The collets are also threaded which pevents rotation of the tool when properly seated. Inside the chuck are the male lugs and a centre which engages on the end of the cutter and guarantees exact axial positioning.

IMG_4353.jpeg
IMG_4355.jpeg
IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4358.jpeg
IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4360.jpg
    IMG_4360.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 0

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My Question: Has anyone used them with a R8 collet with success.

I have quite a bit of tooling like that. As long as the threads are not rolled and higher than the shank, and as long as there is a decent length of unthreaded shank for the collet to hold onto, they have worked just fine for me.

Let's put it this way. If you decide you don't trust them, send them my way and I'll pay the postage.

Grant T

Thanks for all the info. My collets are bored all the way so the threaded endmill shanks will go all the way in to the cutter portion, so I will use them that way. I also have quite a few metric, most of which will not fit my collets very well, so I may try to turn the shanks down to a nominal size that I can use rather than buy a set of metric collets. Worth a try anyway. I tried to post photos but did not have any success at that.
thanks again
Grant

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The collets have a locking tab to prevent rotation inside the chuck. The collets are also threaded which pevents rotation of the tool when properly seated. Inside the chuck are the male lugs and a centre which engages on the end of the cutter and guarantees exact axial positioning.

Plus, the cutters can’t move axially in the holder.

DAC5807D-54C7-4133-AD93-957584001A7A.jpeg

And a note to the operators…: (the cutter won’t go anywhere, what about your eyesight? [love those old tooling catalogues / instruction manuals…] )

747437CC-BA12-4536-830E-FEAC0D6DBAB2.jpeg

SKF / Dormer had their own version of the “Autolock“ system called “Fastloc”. (R8 tool holder in the red box on the left).

3136B6C6-CF75-4EED-BD69-9A3B538AE80E.jpeg