• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

End Mill Reconditioning In Calgary

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I have a a tool and Die grinder that is supposed to be able to do it. Trouble is, I need another year to recondition it. (I've had it 18 months - I need a round tuit right away!) Second, it does take some skill to use it well.

If anyone has donor broken or really dull HSS end mills that I can buy cheap, then let me know!

I have 3 I could donate to the cause. I try to be gentle with my cutting tools. I have to pay for them. Sometimes I think a light stone or hone would do the trick instead of a regrind. A honing fixture ....hmmm, sounds like a project!

Tom O

Ultra Member
I was thinking about sharpening endmills a few years ago and bought these. 2337DA3A-82D9-4712-ACE1-7AFF12501A02.jpeg EAA373DF-D0EC-456E-AC16-36F80A7DAC9C.jpeg
The shaft is suppose to float on a air cushion and needs the pin that rides in the flute for positioning ( sticking out the front ) then it rocks forward for one of the cuts. I still need to find some collets for it though. 40E3702E-4085-464B-877D-4A37758F9F8C.jpeg
This is the backside of the grinder with one tray and table off looking at the height-adaptability for a possible marriage of the two. The rotation is reversible.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Sooooo….. I take it... there is no such thing as a magical electric pencil sharpener (expensive) out there for end mills. Something some one would invest in and recover the cost for over time eventually turning a profit.

Still, I would like to have my 1", 3/4", 1/2" and 3/8" end mills tuned up. I don't consider the larger ones to be disposable.

Dabbler,

I have some small stuff to donate to your cause. Pretty messed up though. Got a drop box setup somewhere?

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was thinking about sharpening endmills a few years ago and bought these.
Hi Tom O that’s a nice piece of kit you have there. It looks like an air spindle that could be used on a Clarkson Tool & Cutter grinder. It for sure is used to sharpen the flutes of cutters.

Tom O

Ultra Member
It is a start I’d still have to mount it height wise and it would be nice to have it rotational so marked of in degrees with a feed system.
I’ll try to make a collet on the mill.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just lost a bid for a tool cutter grinder (without accessories) - it went for $1300 plus fees (I thought that $1400 or more for it plus fees is too much given that some people get these for like few hundred $ as they are mostly obsolete machine nowadays). It was British made, smaller model about 1000lbs.

On the other hand I only tried to sharpen an end-mill once in a fixture - so maybe spending under $2000 for a TCG was indeed a bad idea & I dodged a bullet.

They sell on kajiji in Ontario for between $1000 - $1500.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member

Interesting DIY end mill sharpening fixture. He uses it on a horizontal mill but it could probably be adapted to a vertical mill (angle plate, or). And it only does the end and not the flutes. But for me a touch up on the flutes would probably extend the life of an end mill quite nicely.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have the same thing - it costs like 30 bucks and uses 5C collets. I used it once on the surface grinder. It takes time to do the end properly. I guess its better then nothing. I think these have been around for a while - well known guys on youtube show their use as well.

kylemp

Sooooo….. I take it... there is no such thing as a magical electric pencil sharpener (expensive) out there for end mills. Something some one would invest in and recover the cost for over time eventually turning a profit.

Still, I would like to have my 1", 3/4", 1/2" and 3/8" end mills tuned up. I don't consider the larger ones to be disposable.

Dabbler,

I have some small stuff to donate to your cause. Pretty messed up though. Got a drop box setup somewhere?
There is.. Darex makes them.. I have one, but I've never used it.

This is the one I have, but they make other models

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I also have an air bearing end mill sharpening fixture... also never used it. This is why I didn't want to spend arm and a leg on tool cutter grinder - I mean if you have some fixtures you never used in years probably you can live without them.

I think we are spoiled with carbide. Tool cutter grinder in the 1980s cost 20k for smallest one - now outside of some enthusiast need in a garage its mostly obsolete - CNC can cut any shape and HSS is rarely used for any production work.

I almost never use my HSS endmills. Why would I if carbide is available? Not only carbide stuff lasts forever it can be abused more - i.e. you can "force" somewhat dull carbide end mill to cut but you cannot do it with HSS - AFAIK.

The only use for TCG would be sharpening slab mills for the horizontal mill I have - they go hand in hand - blast from the past. This was my main impetus into trying to get one and fighting well over $1000 to get it.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I was thinking about sharpening endmills a few years ago and bought these.View attachment 4482View attachment 4483
The shaft is suppose to float on a air cushion and needs the pin that rides in the flute for positioning ( sticking out the front ) then it rocks forward for one of the cuts. I still need to find some collets for it though.View attachment 4484
This is the backside of the grinder with one tray and table off looking at the height-adaptability for a possible marriage of the two. The rotation is reversible.
I have a book titled MetalWorking from village press. It's a collection of articles from Home Shop Machinist I think. One of the articles is a DIY Tool and Cutter grinder. Major components of the project are the air spindle and the grinder. Since you already have those it might be a very do-able project. I'd loan the book if your interested?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks for the package from Falchurch! the 3/8 shank is a handy size to practice with!

If you can restore those wounded soldiers you are well on your way to becoming a candidate for sainthood LOL.

Have fun with them.

Cheers