Enco 12" rotary table

Cryoine

Hello again guys, the machine shop owner is asking if I want to purchase and old rotary table that he has from what I can tell it's an enco btanded rotary table model number 73123

Apart from the I know nothing else about it would anyone happen to have some literature on this

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I don’t have any literature to share so someone else might chime in on the enco specifically, but hopefully i have some helpful comments lol.

I took a quick peruse through your previous postings to see if you mentioned if you have a mill already. I didn’t see any mention, do you have a mill yet?

If not but you have plans on getting one eventually, I wouldn’t buy the 12 in rotary table unless you are 100% sure you won’t settle for anything less than a bridgeport (or larger) shaped knee mill. The 12 in table is going to weigh atleast 150 lb so it’ll be challenging to move around by yourself safely.

I myself have a knee mill and I am in the market for an 8in rotary table because that is the largest table I think I can safely move myself without a crane/engine hoist.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Enco was typically lower priced offshore stuff so keep that in mind with pricing. I have a News 12" rotary table and it is heavy but I wouldn't want it any smaller. Its not the size of the work, its having room for clamps.

otoh I agree with the weight concerns. No way its 150lbs, but it is also not the horizontal/vertical style (I prefer a separate index head) so the Enco might be heavier. I lifted it for ages and still can, but I put in a table top jib crane a couple of years ago....none of us are likely to get stronger as the years go by and you can end up with a lifetime of misery with one wrong move of the back.

So its a dilemma, convenience of a large surface, vs getting up their in weight for safe lifting.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
At one shop I was visiting the machinist had a cart with a slippery plastic top for his RT. He would set the mill table to the height of the cart - then position the cart adjacent to the mill -and slide the RT onto the mill table and back. No lifting 150 pound RTs. I thought that was pretty convenient.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
At one shop I was visiting the machinist had a cart with a slippery plastic top for his RT. He would set the mill table to the height of the cart - then position the cart adjacent to the mill -and slide the RT onto the mill table and back. No lifting 150 pound RTs. I thought that was pretty convenient.

The hard part is keeping a straight face when the wife asks "what happened to my cutting board?!"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
At one shop I was visiting the machinist had a cart with a slippery plastic top for his RT. He would set the mill table to the height of the cart - then position the cart adjacent to the mill -and slide the RT onto the mill table and back. No lifting 150 pound RTs.

That is what I did with my big 10". I put it on the top of a rolling tool chest next to my mill. In practice, I found that it isn't as heavy as a 12 would be so I actually stopped rolling the cabinet over. I just lift it and move it. I have put my back out from time to time, but the rotary table has never been a problem cuz I don't have to bend to lift and move it.