• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Enco 12" rotary table

Cryoine

Hello again guys, the machine shop owner is asking if I want to purchase and old rotary table that he has from what I can tell it's an enco btanded rotary table model number 73123

Apart from the I know nothing else about it would anyone happen to have some literature on this

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I don’t have any literature to share so someone else might chime in on the enco specifically, but hopefully i have some helpful comments lol.

I took a quick peruse through your previous postings to see if you mentioned if you have a mill already. I didn’t see any mention, do you have a mill yet?

If not but you have plans on getting one eventually, I wouldn’t buy the 12 in rotary table unless you are 100% sure you won’t settle for anything less than a bridgeport (or larger) shaped knee mill. The 12 in table is going to weigh atleast 150 lb so it’ll be challenging to move around by yourself safely.

I myself have a knee mill and I am in the market for an 8in rotary table because that is the largest table I think I can safely move myself without a crane/engine hoist.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Enco was typically lower priced offshore stuff so keep that in mind with pricing. I have a News 12" rotary table and it is heavy but I wouldn't want it any smaller. Its not the size of the work, its having room for clamps.

otoh I agree with the weight concerns. No way its 150lbs, but it is also not the horizontal/vertical style (I prefer a separate index head) so the Enco might be heavier. I lifted it for ages and still can, but I put in a table top jib crane a couple of years ago....none of us are likely to get stronger as the years go by and you can end up with a lifetime of misery with one wrong move of the back.

So its a dilemma, convenience of a large surface, vs getting up their in weight for safe lifting.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
At one shop I was visiting the machinist had a cart with a slippery plastic top for his RT. He would set the mill table to the height of the cart - then position the cart adjacent to the mill -and slide the RT onto the mill table and back. No lifting 150 pound RTs. I thought that was pretty convenient.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
At one shop I was visiting the machinist had a cart with a slippery plastic top for his RT. He would set the mill table to the height of the cart - then position the cart adjacent to the mill -and slide the RT onto the mill table and back. No lifting 150 pound RTs. I thought that was pretty convenient.

The hard part is keeping a straight face when the wife asks "what happened to my cutting board?!"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
At one shop I was visiting the machinist had a cart with a slippery plastic top for his RT. He would set the mill table to the height of the cart - then position the cart adjacent to the mill -and slide the RT onto the mill table and back. No lifting 150 pound RTs.

That is what I did with my big 10". I put it on the top of a rolling tool chest next to my mill. In practice, I found that it isn't as heavy as a 12 would be so I actually stopped rolling the cabinet over. I just lift it and move it. I have put my back out from time to time, but the rotary table has never been a problem cuz I don't have to bend to lift and move it.