• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

EMCO Compact 8 Gears files

Fermic

Hi everyone,

I modeled my missing gears for my Emco Compact 8 lathe. Wanting to save my wallet from buying the metal version of gears.

They'll have be reamed to the 14 mm, preferably this reamer is inside the gear with lathe offline otherwise it will cut the key-way.
Then you'll work up to push the gear in the lathe until it fully go in, cutting the key-way to the proper fitment then you flip the gear for other side until it feels easy to put in.

I also have included FreeCAD file in the zip for additional gears you want to make, just use spreadsheet inside FreeCAD to change the number of teeth.

IMG_20210312_051629.jpg

Attachments

• EMCO Gears CAD.zip
    2 MB · Views: 58

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So you 3-D printed the gears? How are they working/holding up?

They'll have be reamed to the 14 mm, preferably this reamer is inside the gear with lathe offline otherwise it will cut the key-way.

If you use a spiral fluted reamer, there will not be a problem cutting into the keyway. Straight fluted ones can be a problem when you have keyways and other bore interruptions.

Another way to accurately bore a gear is to make a collet to hold the gear in the chuck by the circumference and then bore the ID to size using a boring bar.

Fermic

Tomorrow, I'll knock some threading on a piece of scrap to see if it works. My gears are ABS and they feel reasonably robust in my hands.

Another way to accurately bore a gear is to make a collet to hold the gear in the chuck by the circumference and then bore the ID to size using a boring bar.

I did by switching jaws in my 3-jaw chuck for outside jaws and they do very well at holding my plastic gears without ruining the teeth. My choice of reamer might not be the best because I was in a hurry for it.

Fermic

Update, they work great. The broken 40T with missing keyway will cause problems. I'll reprint it and label others because the debossed text are too tiny in my first iteration.

Zetopan

Brand New Member
Hi everyone,

I modeled my missing gears for my Emco Compact 8 lathe. Wanting to save my wallet from buying the metal version of gears.

Then you'll work up to push the gear in the lathe until it fully go in, cutting the key-way to the proper fitment then you flip the gear for other side until it feels easy to put in.

I also have included FreeCAD file in the zip for additional gears you want to make, just use spreadsheet inside FreeCAD to change the number of teeth.

View attachment 13778
What are the gear pitch parameters? e.g. Module, metric pitch, or diametric pitch? I have an ENCOMAT 8.6 (the predecessor to the much cheaper Compact 8) on which I have installed a 2 axis DRO and am looking to installing an electronic leadscrew. To perform the latter I will likely need to purchase a mating gear from the stepper/servo to the existing gear train. I want to retain the original change gear set in unmodified form. Thank you.

VSWheels

Brand New Member
Hi everyone,

View attachment 13778
Much appreciated. I am printing a set right now. I have printed all the change gears for a Hercus lathe and they work perfectly for thread cutting. I used PLA for those. This current set are printing in PETG. Although PLA would have been fine.