• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Elliot Omnimil 00 (motor options?)

curmudgeon

(Steve)
Pondering the future of a Elliot Omnimil that I have
I think you should ask me to come and get it out of your way... ;)
I have yet to find anything to replace it with. (the original motor had a broken output shaft that had been repaired... not a good repair and was a source of vibration).
Since the magic smoke is still in place, could the output shaft be replaced or repaired better to reduce vibration to an acceptable level?

I accept that, tho.... at my work, every time the company launches a new product with some fangle microprocessor (product of the devil).... and the field reps spend hours on the phone with tech service... followed by "replace the board" ;-) .... Relays are all warm and comfortable!

M
Overall I would say with new technology yes, this has been around about 30+ years and is as main stream as relays.

Its worth the step up.

Towforce

VFD's well easy to wire, reading the manual and setting up the settings a little more fun. But definitely worth it.
Not adverse to this recommendation, tho... all technology is a product of the devil... Using the Search on this forum "VFD", could not get any hits, does anyone have a "all about" thread they could post?

Thanks

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not adverse to this recommendation, tho... all technology is a product of the devil... Using the Search on this forum "VFD", could not get any hits, does anyone have a "all about" thread they could post?

Thanks

Lots and lots of discussion on here. But I don't recall any "all-about" threads. VFD isn't enough letters for the search tools. Try searching on "frequency". You will have to wade through a lot of other stuff but you should hit some good discussions.

You might be better served to use Google itself to search our forum.

Enter "site:canadianhobbymetalworkers.com VFD" Into the google search bar without the quotes. This will use Google itself to search our forum and bypass the forum search limit. You will have to skip over the ads to get to the meat. But at least you can search on a simple term like "VFD" that way.

There are also millions of youtube videos by millions of self proclaimed experts. I hate YouTube but most people seem to like it. YMMV.

Downwindtracker2

When I finish my morning coffee, I'll go back to programming the VFD on my metal lathe. I have a high end, Canadian made, General 26020 wood lathe. It has a factory installed VFD, but it still uses belt changes for the speed ranges. Don't think I'm rich, I got it at an auction. I bluffed the other guy out.

Since a 3ph motor would be your first install, it's also the simplest to understand and find. Ideally, a new motor that's tagged VFD ready. This involves heavier wiring and better cooling. A quality industrial rated motor should have these anyway. I found a used Baldor . I set my motor frequency range at 30Hz to 90Hz . At lower speeds, the fan is also going slower . Under load the wires are going to heat up. How many mini-grinders have you fried cutting ? I have done in a couple of Walters over the years.

A VFD is is black magic, at least to me. But industrial VFDs are part of the automation revolution so are geared to it. They have extensive programming options for flexibility. Every TV I have bought is less and less intuitive.The programmers can't help themselves, more features you know. And it's really simple to them. From experience, a quality consumer grade, easy to program VFD would certainly be my suggestion.

I hope this helps you, your little mill is well worth it.