• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Electric hub motor plant video

I’d like to know your specific concerns Susquatch.? Other than they’re going to put N. American autos out of business, they have security privacy concerns, once there is no competition the price will go way up, and the Chinese communist party? How is this different than computers, phones, and pretty much anything? Just want to know for myself.
 
How is this different than computers, phones, and pretty much anything?

The thing is this - we all know and accept that Chinese electrical components are seldom certified to our standards but the low price justifies the gap. Sometimes they even carry the cert label but it's a fake. Now imagine a car instead of a circuit breaker. Are you still ok with it?

PM me if you want to know more.
 
On the other hand remember the Ford Pony that were rupturing the gas tank in an accident that could have been fixed with a $10.00 plate? They declined.
My Son went in for a recall for his 150 truck transmission it was fine after leaving the shop 4 different check engine lights activated.
The diagnosis on my 150 started as the converters then oxygen sensors then to the wires leading to the oxygen sensors apparently they say they are on back order… light still on.
 
On the other hand

All the car companies have issues. They are complex products so problems are almost inevitable. I'm not trying to defend any of them.

On the other hand there is a huge difference between single problems and thousands of problems.
 
The thing is this - we all know and accept that Chinese electrical components are seldom certified to our standards but the low price justifies the gap. Sometimes they even carry the cert label but it's a fake. Now imagine a car instead of a circuit breaker. Are you still ok with it?

PM me if you want to know more.

BYD hasn't had issues in other jurisdictions, and of the thousands of solar microfit inverters that have been certified to a very specific and stringent canadian standard, I haven't heard of a single issue.

BYD isn't being sold via aliexpress... and you wont find a knock off.

They're also testing every component and pcb that goes into the product.

Put it this way, if I can get a Canadian rust proofing package here in Canada I'd trust a BYD more than a Lada.

It's funny back in the day (19080s) there was no anti-russian sentiments pushing to ban those cheap Lada's either.
 
BYD hasn't had issues in other jurisdictions, and of the thousands of solar microfit inverters that have been certified to a very specific and stringent canadian standard, I haven't heard of a single issue.

You are the perfect straight man. That's a perfect lead-in.

I don't know that much about solar micro inverters. Nor do I know about the stringent standards they must meet. What I do know is that they are stationary products. The worst part of their life is probably the shipping experience.

For 36 years, my whole world was automotive engineering. Cars and trucks are products that I do understand. So are the thousands of standards that govern them.

Your example is exactly the kinds of things I saw. Vehicles built like stationary inverters. They should work fine in your garage or your home or your shop or even in the backyard. But pound them down a gravel road full of potholes in a rain storm, freeze cycle them on Canadian Winter Roads at -40, and expose them to thousands of miles of salty slush for year after year and all bets are off. You cannot make a car the same way that you make other consumer products. Nor are consumer specifications and standards anywhere near as complex, difficult, or stringent as vehicle standards.

This is the part very few people seem to understand. Vehicles are more like military products that have to work perfectly in the absolute worst conditions imaginable. They are not your typical consumer product at all.
 
All the car companies have issues. They are complex products so problems are almost inevitable. I'm not trying to defend any of them.

On the other hand there is a huge difference between single problems and thousands of problems.
Apparently two or three manufacturers have cars that catch on fire. They are telling people not to park them inside.
 
Apparently two or three manufacturers have cars that catch on fire. They are telling people not to park them inside.

Yup, it happens. In my experience, they get recalled. On occasion it takes time to figure out what is wrong, how to fix them, and make all the repair parts for the volume of vehicles affected.

A responsible outfit will let you know about it and tell you to park outdoors until they can be properly repaired.
 
Yup, it happens. In my experience, they get recalled. On occasion it takes time to figure out what is wrong, how to fix them, and make all the repair parts for the volume of vehicles affected.

A responsible outfit will let you know about it and tell you to park outdoors until they can be properly repaired.
Well, in the video I watched, the particular cars, the "solution" was to put a much lower rated fuse in the circuit that was known to be the problem. That doesn't mean they won't do something better, later, but for right now it seems to just be a bandaid.
 
Know what I find interesting? We are an entire societal range of experts.

Many of us are experts in our field. For some its electrical specifications, for others it's low rfi circuit board design, or Canadian Cactus Species, for some its heating and ventilation in a building, others are experts at rock blasting and boring, some are semi truck operators, some are firemen, some are mountain rescue experts, some are sailers, and the list goes on and on. Far too many to list exhaustively. Please forgive me if I missed you.

Perhaps that is one reason why the topics covered here are so eclectic. Doesn't matter what the subject, there is a guy here who knows all about it. Probably more than anyone else really wants to know.

Well, in the video I watched, the particular cars, the "solution" was to put a much lower rated fuse in the circuit that was known to be the problem. That doesn't mean they won't do something better, later, but for right now it seems to just be a bandaid.

I can appreciate your view. I do not know the details. Although it does not seem right to install smaller fuses and park outside consider the alternative. Should they say nothing? It can take several months to acquire and tool repair parts to cover a million vehicles even if you do know what's wrong and how to fix it. So you really have two choices. Say nothing, or tell people to park outside. Smaller fuses are definitely a bandaide, but they work. Even though I don't know the details, the approach seems quite reasonable and responsible to me. I guess history will tell us if they should have done differently.
 
Oh I almost forgot my 150 has a recall apparently for the Brakes Master Cylinder I asked about while addressing another issue ( at ford service )and I was told not to do it yet because the recall has another recall! I’m so glad it only affects the brakes.
 
Back
Top