• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Edmonton - small part needed for lathe.

I got my first lathe: a colt-720g, took the headstock apart to clean, then realized that the adjustment nut for reassembly is MIA. I'm in a pickle and need someone to machine the nut so I can get back to learning to machine!

There's absolutely no information about these lathes or the original part and its dimensions so I can only provide the thread measurements as I've taken them from the spindle.
-0.966" major thread diameter on the spindle
-18 TPI

I'd like to get something like the part diagram I included. I'm an absolute novice so the dimensions are not set in stone and ideally if someone's willing to help I can meet up and we can confirm the part dimensions with the spindle. I'm just not confident in my novice eye to send this off to be made.

If someone's willing to help then you can inbox me a quote and we can figure it out.

Thanks

Attachments

• nuts.png
    nuts.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
How about posting an image or two of your lathe. Never heard of a colt.
It's a "copy" of the Myford Super 7. The main difference is in the headstock which uses opposing tapered roller bearings as opposed to the Myford's combination of brass sleeves and thrust bearings.
What little information on these (basically notifying people they exist) can be found if you look up Myford Lathe Copies. I'd post the link but I have sub-3 posts in my history atm.

15-16 UN 28 maybe?
When I check with a Whitworth gauge, 18 TPI is almost perfect so I don't think 28 will do it.

Attachments

• 177776077_10227683509542174_5609254985513936629_n.jpg
    177776077_10227683509542174_5609254985513936629_n.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 54

Crankit

It's a "copy" of the Myford Super 7. The main difference is in the headstock which uses opposing tapered roller bearings as opposed to the Myford's combination of brass sleeves and thrust bearings.
What little information on these (basically notifying people they exist) can be found if you look up Myford Lathe Copies. I'd post the link but I have sub-3 posts in my history atm.

When I check with a Whitworth gauge, 18 TPI is almost perfect so I don't think 28 will do it.

Not metric by chance?

Here is a link for Colt Lathes...on a side note, it's a good looking lathe!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford-copies/

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Sorry I grabbed the wrong pitch, 28 vs you said 18. Looking at the common sizes for 15/16 shows 16 or 20 so maybe you have something special.
Not that the pitch would be difficult to make on most common lathes but maybe keep flushing out what it might be.

Even it common Whitworth (that's 55-deg vs 60 right?) I don't see that combo but I'm not that familiar with them
https://www.trfastenings.com/products/knowledgebase/thread-geometry/british-standard-whitworth-bsw

1623133621487.png

Sorry I grabbed the wrong pitch, 28 vs you said 18. Looking at the common sizes for 15/16 shows 16 or 20 so maybe you have something special.
Not that the pitch would be difficult to make on most common lathes but maybe keep flushing out what it might be.

Even it common Whitworth (that's 55-deg vs 60 right?) I don't see that combo but I'm not that familiar with them
https://www.trfastenings.com/products/knowledgebase/thread-geometry/british-standard-whitworth-bsw

View attachment 15256
I don't know why I didn't check in both metric and imperial. The thread form is most definitely Whitworth (yes .55*, at least according to my gauge), but the spindle is definitely in mm and the major thread diameter in in mm. See drawing below. This lathe is a tower of babel regarding measurements.

Attachments

• Spindle.png
    Spindle.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 35

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No chance it’s a M24 (0.944”) by module 1.5 (about 17 TPI equivalent)? The wrinkle would still be 55-deg angle because ISO metric typically 60 deg

Last edited:
Here's the spindle threads with 1.5 metric and 18 Whitworth.

Attachments

• Thread Small 1.5 M.jpg
    Thread Small 1.5 M.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Thread Small 18 TPI.jpg
    Thread Small 18 TPI.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 66