• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Edmonton modeler

trevj

Ultra Member
Clarence is a helluva guy! He had his story about his "Three Little Hogs" up on a website of a friend, who has since passed on, he was intent on building one scale copy, with a running scale engine, which is the one on the bench beside him, one Chopper, and one Electric powered, because old folks are allowed to operate their electric 'scooters', inside the West Ed Mall, so he figured he could ride there in winter!
The guitar is all made by him as well, all steel. Sounds great too!

IIRC, he retired as a Civil Engineer, and had never touched metalworking before. So he learned and practiced all the skills he needed to build his bikes. He claims there is exactly one genuine Harley D part on the bike, the rest, he made patterns for, and cast, then machined.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'm guessing it is one of his projects....if so, a monumentally large task and looks pretty darn good.

Trev, you know him, whats the story on that lathe?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I believe he also made the lathe from scratch, but that's going off our brief conversation last fall & what others mentioned of his long list of projects. He is active in AMEN group in Edmonton but not so much on the forums & such. I can ask one of the guys.

trevj

Ultra Member
I'm guessing it is one of his projects....if so, a monumentally large task and looks pretty darn good.

Trev, you know him, whats the story on that lathe?
Have not seen the lathe in person. My understanding, was that it was just another of his ideas that got away on him...

trevj

Ultra Member
Yes, I believe he also made the lathe from scratch, but that's going off our brief conversation last fall & what others mentioned of his long list of projects. He is active in AMEN group in Edmonton but not so much on the forums & such. I can ask one of the guys.
Is the AMEN group still meeting?

Last time I went, they were still meeting at the Super 8 off the Yellowhead on 170 St. Had heard that they were using an Arby's nearer the South side, but that was a long while back too.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I remember seeing a small yellow lathe that was home mades at the Estevan Model engineering show back before covid. I wonder if this is the same guy and same lathe.

trevj

Ultra Member
I remember seeing a small yellow lathe that was home mades at the Estevan Model engineering show back before covid. I wonder if this is the same guy and same lathe.
Pretty likely. I first met Clarence there, back when he was starting out with his Harley project, I was living in Moose Jaw. While I was in Edmonton and Cold Lake, I still made the time to make the trip out to the show, and after I retired out of the CF, I think I still made the run from here in Lillooet, to there, a couple times, though I still had friends to stay with in Edmonton on the way there (Rod McB., one of the principals involved in the Iron Brew Engine shown earlier). Between life issues, the passing of several great friends, and Covidiocy, I pretty much stopped going.