• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Edmonton - Can you plane down some oak for me ( 1 cut )

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hey fellas,

I am making a transition for my flooring, I am going from about 1-1/4" down to zero over a 2 or 3 in width, and then ill rabbit it to accomodate my laminate thickness etc etc.
I need to glue together some oak and plane it down - 1 maybe 2 cuts in total, No sense in buying a 600$ thickness planer for 2 cuts.

Can any one accommodate me, I can submit beverages for this service, Or food or coffee?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you know anyone that works at a High School? The HS shop teachers are usually willing to do one offs for folks they work with.

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
In the absence of a planer, a router sled might work.
Or since you’re on this forum, a milling machine makes a precision router.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A table saw will do that nicely but you will need to sand for a nice finish. A friend with a table saw may be eaiser to find.

I guess I should add that I could do it in Thunder Bay

Noltez

I could do it in GTA. For your gradient you'd need to find a way to block up the 1¼" so the planer angles it correctly. I've never seen a home one that does angles.

What about a table saw and a belt sander?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey fellas,

I am making a transition for my flooring, I am going from about 1-1/4" down to zero over a 2 or 3 in width, and then ill rabbit it to accomodate my laminate thickness etc etc.
I need to glue together some oak and plane it down - 1 maybe 2 cuts in total, No sense in buying a 600$ thickness planer for 2 cuts.

Can any one accommodate me, I can submit beverages for this service, Or food or coffee?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Absolutely buy a planer for 2 cuts! Get your priorities straight! haha lol. ;)

Chipper5783

Humm, sounds like an opportunity lost. You had a perfectly good justification to purchase a tool/machine. You'd have used it at least once, and it opens up many other times you'd use it. Around here, the threshold to justify $$ on tools is very low.

Noltez

My brothers and I share woodworking tools like that. We all need a miter saw, not a thickness planer. Worst case it's an hour to get it from the other brother to save $600. Last use was 2 years ago, and after cleaning it down I wrapped it in a garbage bag. It's still in that bag.