• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

East bound and down!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Better stop there Kevin. I don't care how much family you have in Ontario. It's horrible here. The rust rate alone will kill you.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I learned the hard way about rust already. Humidity is about 70 percent and I had flash rust overnight. Started coating everything in fluid film before leaving calgary. So far so good but I’ve been reading the dehumidifier threads with interest

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome back to the Land of Living Skys. Jeeez i think i have only been near Langenburg once, it's a 5 hour hike from me.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
Glad to have you back! You are just a short trip away from me now. Only 2.5 hours. The shop planning is a challenging but rewarding task. My shop is just starting the build today.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You have two shapers?

Seriously, congrats on the move. Grew up in Saskatoon, went to the U of R. Lived in Yorktown for a year, and had friends in Churchbridge.

Looks like a gorgeous spot you have. Enjoy!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Kevin,

Are you completely relocated now? How many trips did that take?

Maybe change your profile location.

Craig

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
So, its been a year since we pulled the trigger on the move back to SK, and 9 months living on the property. We 'upsized' in terms of property (25 acres vs 5), but downsized in terms of home and shop. We went from a 1800 sq ft bungalow w/walk-out basement to a 1940's farmhouse that is maybe 1000 sq ft total.

As for shop, I had a metal shop (28x40 w/12ft ceilings and a 40ft mezzanine) and a wood shop (24x15) and went to a single 3-car garage (28x44) w/10ft ceilings and no mezzanine. Ya, I know, poor me, but it has meant living with a wood shop full of tools in my metal space, plus a mezzanine full of treasure scattered about. Now that spring/summer has arrived we got busy with our 2023 projects which includes an addition to the house and an extension to the shop (new wood shop).

I won't bore you with the house addition, lets get into the shop details.

After consulting the local rural-municipality (R.M.), (equivalent to an Alberta 'county'), I discovered that starting in 2022 they have started supporting building permits and such...... which is funny given that up until last year it was the wild wild west.... you could put up what you want. It is being done on an r.m. by r.m. basis I believe so some others may have the good ole days in effect.

Permit fees were about $800, electrical permit is $150. I decided to build a standalone 22x24 garage package (10ft ceilings, 2x6 walls, r20 insulation walls, r40 or better ceiling). Standalone, but basically immediately adjacent to the old building, as in the slabs are touching but not 'doweled together' w/rebar. Why? Money. If I added to the existing slab, I exceed the maximum square footage allowed for standard slab or for thickened edge slab..... because they use the total square footage of the overall building (28x44 + 22x24). This means engineered drawings, foundations, grade-beam etc.

I want a wood shop, 5 inch slab (non thickened edge). If the construction material is 1" away from the existing shop, no problem, so that is what I'm doing.

Here is a pic of the slab formed up

IMG_0192.jpeg

We used about 40 yards of gravel base which I had on the property because I have a huge gravel seam running through here.

Here is the cement being poured

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0196.jpeg

But wait, we're not done yet! There is no pavement on the property, so it was gravel up to the existing 3 car garage, and will be gravel to the new shop..... so I added an 'apron' to the front. The existing garage apron is 44 x 10ft, and the apron in front of the new shop will be 24x13 ft (because it is narrower and centered on the existing.

some apron pics

IMG_0198.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0217.jpeg

Power trowel on the slab, brush finish on the apron. Now I can use pallet jacks to move equipment around, and the 24x13 apron fits the 2-ton gantry nicely so I can off load new treasure!

Building the shop was quick, framed, stood and shingled in 2 days
IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

You can see the gantry in its new home here:

IMG_0240.jpeg

Framing inspection was today (pass!) and now the electrical and insulation get done.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
A big shout out to Aaron and his team from Grid643 out of Grenfell SK. Aaron and his team did all the labor with the exception of the gravel which I provided and moved. Excellent job, can't say enough about them. If you're in the south-eastern part of the province, I highly recommend them.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Notes:

The shop-slab was laid on top of 1.5" rigid insulation.

The garage package was purchased from McMunn and Yates out of Yorkton. I shopped it to 3 vendors and they were 15% cheaper, and offered $150 delivery to my acreage (80km). They delivered everything (lumber, trusses, windows, doors, shingles, hardware etc.). The building package included everything needed including concrete anchors, tuck-tape (blue), staples....

Concrete came out of Melville SK.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome build. In my area we have several contractors, all very busy and expensive. I have been waiting for several months for a new shop door install and likely won't see it till late fall.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @kevin.decelles , what an awesome advancement! You will be a happy camper!

By thickened edges on the slab, do you mean rat wall or load bearing?

I love your apron idea. The lip at my barn doors is a major pain in the butt. An apron would fix that. I had been thinking about putting gravel on the shop yard, but your apron would be WAAAAY better.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
so I added an 'apron' to the front.
I did a 10' apron on the smithy end of my workshop. Incredibly useful for loading, unloading, and messy out-door work. I just wish I'd put one at the other end where the tractor and small boats park (24x44', one wide overhead door on one end, double single overhead doors on the other). I have an 18" strip that holds a drain, and I can tell I'm going to be pouring a much larger slab there to act as a driveway and work space for the tractor and boats. The annoying part is that it's brutally expensive to barge over a ciment truck, so it's going to be mixed at the top of the driveway. At least my neighbor has a decent-sized mixer. But it still comes out to at least 3 yards of concrete.